Interactive Brokers stealing a few cents from everyone?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by samovar, May 28, 2010.

1. NumLock

NumLock

Another example

[​IMG]

#41     May 30, 2010
  2. def

def Sponsor

This thread has gone on long enough.

Go back to the original post where the OP quotes

"But starting from February 2010, every few days I've noticed a rounding error of 1 or 2 cents, almost always in IB's favor."

The operative word here is "almost always". This should be enough for you to realize this is a rounding issue. Have you contacted Customer Service? If you did before making what I'm sure is a misguided claim here, I'm sure they would be able to explain exactly where the difference is coming from. Why don't you try that first. But do promise if/when you are proven wrong, you'll come back here and make the appropriate apologies. Of course I 'll do the same. Anyone taking bets on who is correct here?

As for numlock, you are so off topic but I doubt you'll be able to send me one real stop where your trigger wasn't triggered on a timely basis. How about you send me a PM of one of these missed stops - not a chart but a real live example - and I'll personally go through the audit trails and if there is indeed a problem with the trigger method, i'll make it my mission to get it fixed.

#42     May 30, 2010
  3. NumLock

NumLock

Def I pride myself on my ability to speak my mind clearly. However I also think of myself as smart and not stupid.

I am afraid of you Def.

If I contact you with live examples and everything I think you guys will use this opportunity to identify me and close my accounts.
    Before I have the chance to relocate which means losing week or so of trading transferring money left and right, calling up new brokers making sure they are legit etc etc

Checking the stock price and earnings of new broker (hey I am a diligent bastard, you don't expect one of your successful clients not to be diligent)

Which is why I used no less than 16 different IPs to post under this username.

While people might only admit to one another through private PMs.

I openly say. I am afraid of you Def.

#43     May 30, 2010
  4. samovar

samovar

I've been waiting for an activity statement that was really simple, so that I could show proof of the one-cent theft. Such activity statement happened on 2010-Jun-03. Please see the screenshot.

I make only one trade that day, buying back a short put for $6 and $1.01 in commission (I'm not sure why $1.01, and not $1.00 to begin with, but thats' not the point).

Notice how in IB's Cash Report section, in the Total column, my Starting Cash goes from 26,023.52 to 26,016.50 instead of 26,016.51.

= 26,023.51

IB reports and Ending Cash of: 26,023.50.

WTF?

#44     Jun 6, 2010
  5. def

def Sponsor

I assume you haven't emailed customer service to take a look but I do know that you have not availed yourself to my offer of sending me a PM so I can look into your concerns.

Nevertheless, if you take the time to look under IB's fee schedule on the website, you'll note that "Your total US options commissions include IB fees, that are tiered based on volume, plus exchange and regulatory fees."

These fees are currently -0.025 to 0.045 per contract depending on the exchange.

I don't know if you ever add liquidity but I guess you do every now and then as your original post says the rounding is almost always against you. Next time you add liquidity and get a rebate from the exchange, how about starting a thread "Interactive Brokers is handing out a few cents to everyone"

#45     Jun 7, 2010
  6. this clown must not be doing too well, if a few cents a month is causing all this angst.

#46     Jun 7, 2010
  7. samovar

samovar

I would like to formally apologize for my lack of understanding of the liquidity fees (I honestly have no idea what they are, and how come they weren't charged before I started noticing the penny differences).

If we want to make this into something constructive, we can draw a conclusion from this thread: transparency pays off.

This liquidity fee should be listed in the daily activity statements. I certainly don't care about a few cents a month, but I do care that I don't understand what's happening. Listing the fee in the Fees section of the activity statement would be great.

#47     Jun 7, 2010