Interactive Brokers Secure Login: mobile app or card?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by helpme_please, Feb 19, 2016.

1. I'll tell you how it works for me. I login to TWS or Account Mgmt. I select IB Key for authentication and I get a message on my phone. I touch the message and IB Key opens and asks me to use my fingerprint. I place my finger and the TWS logs in. Takes maybe 5 seconds.

I have an iPhone and as I said, I love the IB Key. Too bad Nexus GP isn't supported yet. I know Android is supported as I know someone who has, I think a Samsung, and is just as happy with the convenience.

#21     Oct 25, 2017
  2. ktm

ktm

I kinda have too much on the phone already - and that isn't much - but the phone seems to be getting too crucial for me recently, so I'm opting for the separate device.

#22     Oct 26, 2017
  3. ET180

ET180

I started using IB Key since I can use both IB Key as well as the security device. I prefer IB Key app and recommend it for others who use IB.

#23     Oct 28, 2017
  4. One other choice is to print out a code card which contains codes to enter when logging in and challenged with codes.

This is more secure as the code card expires every three weeks, forcing you to get a new card (online, takes two minutes).

You can save it on disk or cloud and reference as needed.

This way you don't have to worry about losing your physical card or Phone (or Phone dying when you need to log in). And with frequent expiration, less concern about the codes being compromised itself.

#24     Oct 29, 2017
  5. ktm

ktm

What do you guys get for a challenge string when you have the new card?

I got the card and activated it yesterday but my challenge string is still two sets of 4 digit numbers...not sure how to reconcile this with the three digit numbers on the card?

I can't chat with IB because I can't log in as I only brought the card today. Why was I dumb enough to just believe this would work?

#25     Nov 2, 2017
  6. I think you need to activate the card. This is to ensure you can log in until you get the card. IB does not know your mail arrived.

you can call them on the phone even if you can not log in and they will help you.

They also have Customer service people around the world so usually someone is open.

#26     Nov 2, 2017
  7. ktm

ktm

I activated the card a few days ago...still getting the old string today.

I have to log in using the old device and then try to get them on chat. It's frustrating. Every single step of this process has not worked until I've called or gotten them on chat.

This is why I never like to upgrade anything.

#27     Nov 3, 2017
  8. I don't have the card but I suspect it is like BINGO with the two sets of numbers pointing to a spot on the grid.

#28     Nov 3, 2017
  9. #29     Nov 3, 2017
  10. ktm

ktm

Thanks for the efforts, but that wasn't it.

Somewhere in the IB system, they know what device you have. That selection in their internal system was still pointing to my old device, despite my having activated the new one. Once the guy on the phone (chat wasn't working today) flipped the switch, I started getting the challenge string associated with the card.

Hope this helps someone facing a similar situation down the road.

#30     Nov 3, 2017