Interactive Brokers Secure Login: mobile app or card?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by helpme_please, Feb 19, 2016.

1. def

def Sponsor

FYI - Besides IBKEY which I think is great (accounts $1 million and under) there is a new generation of the gold credit cards that is just being released. Same size but buttons click and display is not liquid crystal and should be more durable over time.

#11     Feb 20, 2016
  2. AbbotAle

AbbotAle

I use the plastic credit card with all the numbers printed on it. It works, obviously!

A good idea is to make a scan of it then encrypt that file (using PGP) and keep a copy on every computer you use.

#12     Feb 21, 2016
  3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I liked this one the best. As a correspondent, we were not allowed to use this.

#13     Feb 21, 2016
  4. i went from the older cc with all the numbers, to the newer gold cc, with a lithium battery

it's more complicated to use,
    but it gives me some peace of mind, security wise

marc
    :cool:

#14     Feb 21, 2016
  5. i960

i960

Plastic card with numbers here. Never used the electronic ones and the card is enough of an annoyance already.

#15     Feb 21, 2016
  6. ktm

ktm

I may be the only one left doing this...but I still have the platinum device.

IB sent me an email in early Sept saying it's toast and forcing me off of it by Oct 15th. I get on chat and go through the process and order a new cc device. Guy tells me it will ship that week. Early October, nothing and I get another email threatening cutoff by 10/15. I get on chat again and the guy says it hasn't shipped but will definitely be there well before 10/15.

It wasn't.

Today I get another threatening email saying they will disallow opening orders on Nov 1st if I don't order a new device. Called IB and they confirmed I have ordered it over a month ago, but can't tell me why it hasn't shipped but they are going to make it a priority.

Is anyone else dealing with this?

#16     Oct 24, 2017
  7. I too have the platinum device. I never got the "disallow opening orders on Nov 1st" email. And my understanding from earlier emails I did receive, and the information on IB's site, is that new devices would be sent automatically. Perhaps different account sizes are the reason for the differences?

#17     Oct 24, 2017
  8. spindr0

spindr0

I don't know what the break points are but when I dealt with this a few weeks ago, the IB rep mentioned offhandedly that account size was a factor in eligibility for security devices.

#18     Oct 24, 2017
  9. I have both and you should too.
    The ibkey is awesome and very fast and easy to use. You have a choice when logging in to choose ibkey or the gold token. The gold token is an extra layer of protection as you can't withdraw over $1 million USD without it. With IBKEY though you can do everything else. I find myself logging into account management and my mobile apps in particular so much more now that I don't have to type the security codes.

#19     Oct 25, 2017
    samovar likes this.
  10. Ryan81

Ryan81

I declined the card with the buttons... Too inconvenient.

I don't mind the card with the printed numbers.

The IB Key app on android is convenient, but they could make it much better. It currently doesn't support finger-print recognition (at least not on my Nexus 6P), so I have to type a pin into it. The app also seems a bit slow/laggy for what it does. You'd think some app that only grabs a challenge phrase and verifies a pin could be very fast... But when opening the app, it takes a few seconds before it's ready.

#20     Oct 25, 2017
    samovar likes this.