Interactive Brokers.........Part II

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Sterling, Jan 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

I was wondering if any of you have had problems with the demo at the interactive site. I've tried for three days to get the demo goin but with no luck. The tech help is lost. If these folks cant figure out their demo, how can i expect them to help when goin live?

Sterling

#11     Jan 29, 2001
  2. zboy

thanks

on-on

#12     Jan 30, 2001
  3. Sterling,

Did you download the special Java plugin that IB uses for their platform? The IB TWS (whether demo or full version) requires the Java plugin to be installed on your computer before you can access the login page and open the trading screen. I just tried to open the demo and had no problems. Also, are you running Internet Explorer version 5.0? If so, you'd need to upgrade to version 5.5, since there is a problem with the TWS and IE 5.0, as quoted from IB below:

"IB has upgraded its web server complex in order to provide faster access to its site. While most users will not have any problems with the new site, we have determined that users of Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.0 may have problems when trying to log into the user page. users of this version of the web browser should upgrade to the latest version."

#13     Jan 30, 2001
  4. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

Sterling,

I usually can't get the demo to work during market hours. The program launches fine, but the bid/ask quotes rarely come through and if I try to place a trade I get a message that the order is rejected due to no quote for the stock. The old TWS was the same, and I believe the demo is restricted in order to save resources for the live accounts. There are other posts about that somewhere on this site. Maybe def can shed some light on that. The best way to use the demo is afterhours. I have never had any problems with it then and it runs on the previous days data I think. But that limitation does make it hard to test if you are planning to use it alongside a data feed as the data feed will not have the previous days quotes to use while testing the demo. But for execution practice it is fine.

Kirk

#14     Jan 30, 2001
  5. Sterling,

I've just been checking out IB as well, the demo seemed to work fine, had it running the same time as my RT3, no problems. I will admit it'll take some time getting use to their TWS, but then RT3 took time to get use to as well.

Right now I'm at the stage where I have no right trading large amount of shares so their $1 min' ticket charge will make it worth the time learning a new order entry system :)

I went back to see what difference in fee's it would have made over the last month. Och, $400 and that was with $5 tardes (which just ran out and would be about $15 now)!!! My account and confidence would both be in better shape right now :) Hope this helps.

#15     Jan 30, 2001
  6. Has anyone here used both tradescape and IB? I ran the IB demo on a weak computer and it wasn't too bad. The only problem I had with IB was trying to change ecn's; still can't find it. How would you specify a soes order?

#16     Jan 30, 2001
  7. Carl J

Carl J

Sterling and others,
    Hear are some observations after using the demo during the first week of January.
    I could get live quotes every day but sometimes they would disappear for awhile then return. Most days the feed would stop around 2:30 EST but would restart about 4:30 useing quotes from the same day beginning at 9:30 that morning.One feature I couldn't get to work in the demo was the ability to choose the different ECN's. I've since opened a account and made a few trades. The fills are fast and the commissions are great when trading less than 1000 shares. I do have two small problems. The time in my execution window is off 5 hours and when I choose Island I don't always get a price change quote. If I choose best execution the change price is there. Hope this helps.

#17     Jan 30, 2001
  8. def

def Sponsor

hey guys,
    just back from a long overdue holiday. i'll try to address some questions.

1. The demo has a limit on the number of users at one time in order to conserve bandwith. I believe it is around 100 at a time. I'm not sure about the constraints on it but it may time out to allow others to log on if all slots are full.

2. beezer: you should check your math. Last I heard is 1 penny per share, 2.95 for a future and 1.95 for an option contract is less expensive than $9.95. From what I gather on this thread, most of the interested traders are doing less than 1000 shares at a time. Thus for a 100 lot ET is 895% more expensive. ALSO BEEZER, you are not a client of IB and clearly work for a competitor. Shows a lack of integretity when you rank brokers where you have never traded. Pretty weak. It just shows that your comments can not be trusted.

3. carl J, are you located in the states? the time might be related to the system clock on your computer. If not, please send me a mail with specific details so I can pass it along

4. ECN's, in the active version you need to add the ECN to your screen. For instructions on how to do it check out:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/html/manuals/java_tws_manual.html#Contract_Creation

In the future a drop down menu might be added to let you route to the exchange of your desires quickly.

5. zboy mentioned that you must upgrade to ie. 5.0. Actually the problem seems to be with encrpytion. If you get an hpps instead of an http as the internet address (see the Address line in your browser), it most likely means you do not have 128 bit encryption. To upgrade to 128-bit, go to Help on the browser, choose "About Internet Explorer" and if nexto to Cipher Strenght you do not have 128-bit, click on upgrade information.

Sterling: One last point. The software was originally designed for institutional trading and a large number of major global institutions use our system.

Hopefully, I got to most of what was asked. If not let me know.
    - def

#18     Jan 31, 2001
  9. Hi def,

hope you've had nice holidays.
    IB commissions :
    Penny/sh ( min. 1$/trade ) for equities is still correct.
    Options 1.95/contract ( no minimum )

Any news when 24hrs/7days access to IB account will be possible ?

best regards

#19     Jan 31, 2001
  10. def

def Sponsor

privateer,
    i know work is being done on overnight orders (24/7) but I'm not sure of the time frame. My guess is a couple of months.

#20     Jan 31, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.