Interactive Broker's Oversized disejxftn folder

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by maryp, Mar 19, 2011.

1. You need to give more information...
    The sizes per se should not be a problem...
    But what are the 335,000 files... that looks very unusual.

One of my accounts has about 100 files (normal)...
    And one has 10,000... lots of SCRIPT , LCK files, etc...
    But does not affect performance...
    I'll bet all those can be deleted.

You should create a mirror image of your drive...
    Then start experimenting.

#11     Mar 20, 2011
  2. JackR

JackR

Mary:

When you open a folder with 335 thousand files in it, Windows has to access the folder, sort the files by name or date (or do whatever it needs to, to show them to your preference), before it displays them. That's the reason for your big delay. I misunderstood what you wrote as being a TWS problem.

TWS may have caused the problem by creating the 335,000 files, but XP is causing the slowdown trying to handle them when you are manipulating files. It's been some time since I read about this stuff, but if memory serves, Windows treats a folder as a file it reads and writes to - so think of it as opening, modifying, and closing a very large "text" file anytime you do a directory read or write.

You need to get to the bottom of the 335,000 files. The cause, as well as any need to retain them.

Jack

#12     Mar 20, 2011
  3. maryp

maryp

I just took ownership and removed the read permissions from that large disexxxx directory. Then, I removed all of the .LCK and files starting with _ from it using cmd.exe (del /F /Q _* and del /F /Q *.LCK). The directory size now is 21MB, and 19.7 Size on Disk. Funny, now the size on disk is smaller than size, and the size on disk was much larger than the size before. Oh well. Everything works great now, including TWS. I didn't have to re-install.

Don't know why all of those files were there though, if they are not necessary. I suspect it could be from updating TWS, or not removing old TWS's before installing a new one. I really don't know.

#13     Mar 20, 2011
  4. Bob111

Bob111

disexxxx directory should contain only settings and audit files. in this case you can delete the whole folder. you going to loose your settings for this account,but that's about it. you can always move them someplace else before delete and restore settings using restore function in TWS later.

#14     Mar 20, 2011
  5. JackR

JackR

Mary:

A suggestion - Keep a simple record of the files in the dxxxxx file. Here is an easy way to capture the file names/sizes/dates and have the capability to print info out. -

1) In the Windows "Run" box type "CMD" [enter]. That should open a small command line window (DOS Box).

Change to the c:\JTS\dxxxxxx folder. Do so by typing in the DOS box:

CD C:\JTS\dxxxxx (enter)

The command line prompt should now read C:\JTS\dxxxxx.
    Type DIR (enter)
    You should see the files in the dxxxx folder.

Type DIR /N > Maryfiles.TXT (enter)
    You should see nothing happen except the command line prompt will be back. The /N has sorted the files by name.

Type DIR (enter).
    You should see the files plus a new one called Maryfiles.txt.

You can use Notepad to print that file or bring into Excel or whatever.

Later in the week repeat the above except change the name of the Maryfiles.txt to something clever like Maryfiles2, 3, 4, etc.

Review them and you'll get a clue as to when the files are created, whether they are overwritten, added to, etc.

Have fun.

Jack

#15     Mar 20, 2011
  6. dst

dst Interactive Brokers

Hi maryp. I'd like to understand the rootcause of the problem and see if this is something specific to your setup vs more widespread issue. Can you please use your TWS for couple of days, see if the file count increases again in that folder, and if so - send me a PM, and we'll take it from there? Thank you very much in advance.

#16     Mar 21, 2011
  7. maryp

maryp

Nice suggestion, Jack. Works well. Thanks.

#17     Mar 22, 2011
  8. JackR

JackR

Mary:

The trading week is over. How does the folder look? Mine has 51 files and is a tad under 20 megabytes.

Jack

#18     Mar 25, 2011
  9. samovar

samovar

With the JTS TWS 918 (various builds during the past 2 months), my daijmpwcr folder has 44 files totaling 18.5Mb. Seems like the issue is in check.

#19     Jun 30, 2011