Interactive brokers outage

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by redharel, Jan 5, 2018.

1. redharel

redharel

I have enough juice in my account but what it's got to do with it? a lose is a lose and it's always painful no matter the amount especially when the position was up when i last had any market connection. market now is closed and the position is out of the money and what do you know, connection is back up again ugh. I won't let IB off the hook that easily that's for sure.

#21     Jan 5, 2018
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Sorry, I have futures on the brain. It is the lowest-risk thingy I have seen 'round these parts. You must have options and stock bits or something.

#22     Jan 5, 2018
  3. redharel

redharel

It was SPX weekly options trade

#23     Jan 5, 2018
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Oh honey, I am so sorry. I did not know you were caught up in that craziness. Why don't you come over to pure futures? It is painless compared to your warzone.

It is actually fun! (Mostly).

#24     Jan 5, 2018
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

This is the best argument for a back up account. Every broker has every client sign a disclosure saying these events can happen and you trade electronically at your own risk.

#25     Jan 5, 2018
    KeLo, comagnum and truetype like this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

And best argument for Lightspeed. While IB is down, OMM is here. See?

#26     Jan 5, 2018
  7. ajacobson

ajacobson

Had a couple of small institutional account tells us they got "Free trades" as an allowance.
    No idea how big or if it's even factual.

#27     Jan 5, 2018
  8. What good is a back up trading account, if all of your money is with that specific online brokerage?
    You just have to hope and pray your trading brokerage doesn't have explosive diarrhea when you're there. and you need toilet paper.

Unless you're talking about a huge trader, with five million in five different brokerages.
    But this scenario isn't likely here, in a retail trading forum.

I need to look into that CMTA stuff, and make sure to order two.
    My trading style makes the average Joe's look like a conservative, very safe retirement fund. -- I need redundancy.

Mazal tov, Robert Jacob -- and Make Trading Great Again 2018

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    #28     Jan 5, 2018
  9. ajacobson

ajacobson

You CMTA the position back to your primary. Caveat - you still need to pay for it at the other shop and many small brokers won't have this ability.

#29     Jan 5, 2018
    KeLo likes this.
  10. ajacobson

ajacobson

Everybody has an occasional outage. Old trading adage - "your best mistake is your first mistake" - it's what you do to remedy it that is the true test.

#30     Jan 5, 2018
    KeLo likes this.