Interactive Brokers not sending limit order to the exchange?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by hotsalami, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Wait.... so the CME supports STOP-LIMIT orders, but not regular STOP orders (you call STOP-MARKET) ?

#21     Jul 29, 2015
  2. tango29

tango29

It has been that way as long as I have been trading. I asked a couple of brokers and they never had an answer.

#22     Jul 29, 2015
  3. i960

i960

Correct. Same with ICE. If you use a market stop with IB its held on IB's servers.

#23     Jul 29, 2015
  4. But essentially if you place the limit far away, it gets closer to acting like a stop-market order.

#24     Jul 29, 2015
  5. Thank-you

So I contacted IB and received this:
    "
    Stop-Limit Orders: Stop-Limit orders configured to *trigger outside RTH* are native to GLOBEX and can be placed at any time during regular Globex trading hours. Please note the following restrictions placed by GLOBEX:
    For Sell Stop-Limit Orders, the limit price must be <= stop price (aux. price)
    For Buy Stop-Limit Orders, the limit price must be >= stop price (aux. price)"

in summary
    • overfill protection off on your settings (presets, show all, OAC)
    • trigger outside RTH in your setings
    • the limit price <> to the stop price (as in IB message)
    • order cannot be hidden

#25     Aug 5, 2015
  6. Good job aquarian. One just needs to follow the rules and it works fine....
    and always, always remember BuyStops will be triggered above the current market...
    and SellStops will be triggered below the current market.

#26     Aug 6, 2015
  7. i960

i960

That being said, if you do want buy or sell "stops" below and above respectively, you can use MIT or LIT orders IB server side. It's basically a hidden/on-demand limit order in effect.

#27     Aug 6, 2015
  8. Very slick i960....only downside is that they are likely to fill with more lag than exchange-side orders.

#28     Aug 6, 2015
  9. GeorgeW

GeorgeW

Hello,
    I have read through all the posts on this thread, and I am wondering if the advice that CME does not support stop (market) orders (i.e. do not hold them on their servers), and so it is best to set up a stop limit order with a wide limit price has changed. The CME Globex website says they do support Stop & Market orders with protection, which for the ES they set @ 3pts, so is the above actually necessary?

Thank you.

#29     Sep 5, 2016
  10. i960

i960

That's a STOP PRT order not a stop. IB has access to it if you change the order type.

#30     Sep 5, 2016
    GeorgeW likes this.