Interactive Brokers margin requirements

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by minioptions, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Nothing better than leveraging up long to the hilt first thing in the morning on a down -400 point open and then complaining about getting wiped out!

#21     Feb 3, 2008
  2. You haven't mentioned what instruments you were trading at the time. You mentioned futures; given your name, were you in ES only, index options, or something else?

#22     Feb 3, 2008
  3. reply to traderNik

ES Condors (put and call credit spreads on the S&P 500 mini contract). With the S&P down 50, some of the short side of the puts were at the money.

#23     Feb 4, 2008
  4. Quote from IV_Trader:

Changing the rules in the middle of the game is trader’s worst nightmare…I’m very often carrying following overnight PM based positions:

Long the stock.
    Long twice ( or more , depending on deltas) # of puts , then :

87’ all over again…Futures are down huge , stock tanks 50% + in pre-market…broker “revisits and cuts ” margins rules and sell my stocks ( by totally ignoring huge puts profits , because options market is not open yet). Stock bouncing back ( a bit/a lot) before 9:30. I am in the huge loss instead of ABSOLUTE HOME RUN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jimrockord

Your facts are not correct. If you held protective puts hedging your stocks, they would have affected your maintenance margin requirements at IB. Your maintenance margin requirement, for each protective put, would have been the lesser of the stock's requirement, or the sum of 10% of the aggregate put exercise price plus 100% of the amount by which the puts were out of the money.

My guess is that you don't understand IB's margin requirements well enough to be using margin at IB, and this inadequate preparation is the reason why you got burned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s EXACTLY what is happening with one of my stock now…stock is tanking in pre-market and my short stock position shows big loss…while long puts are unchanged (obviously).

Retard: stop pretending that you know something and confuse ppl will misleading info

#24     Jun 25, 2008

5. Yikes. You figured... You thought... You never heard...

in English, you are saying:

I was terribly overleveraged.

IB adjusted to market conditions, as is legal and probably in my agreement with them.

I don't know how to trade or use money/portfolio management

Therefore IB's policy is unfair.

And probably:
    "I need to find another broker. That will fix my incompetence.

#25     Jun 25, 2008