Interactive Brokers historical data vs Quandl (CME)

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by isotope1, Mar 20, 2017.

1. isotope1

isotope1

I'm trying to figure out why the historical data I'm pulling from Interactive Brokers doesn't agree with that which I pull from Quandl.

The Quandl data seems to agree (approximately) with the data reported on the CME website. IB is miles off. How should I be requesting IB data?

Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks!
    Chris.

NB I'm using Corn Dec 17 for testing purposes.

2. Metamega

Metamega

Google back-adjusted futures contracts and continuous contracts.

This is most likely the issue. I don't use IB id guess their most likely using back adjusted data while quandl is giving you every single contract from its beginning to experiation where you'll have to come up with your own system for roll overs and adjustments that you want.

3. i960

i960

IB only uses continuous contracts when you request the continuous contract symbol.

isotope, what specifically is off about the IB data that you're concerned about - and on what timeframe? I have access to a few data providers and can cross-check if you can point out what the problem is.

4. isotope1

isotope1

I'm requesting specific contracts, not continuous contracts. In this case, I'm requesting Corn Dec '17.

Here's my request for the contract on IB API:
    Code:
    reqHistoricalData(self.ticker_id, contract, end_datetime, "1 W", "1 day", "TRADES", 1, 1)
    Documentation for API is here: https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/api/api.htm

The below screenshot shows the result from IB, and then the result from Quandl. So it looks like the Close = Settle prices, so that's good, but the rest of them don't agree.

[​IMG]

5. just21

just21

Are you comparing regular trading hours with globex hours?

6. isotope1

isotope1

That's a good question. IB has an option that says 'UseRTH' - which I'm using. What's the difference between RTH & Globex hours?

7. just21

just21

Globex is open 23 hours a day. Rth is the old pit hours.

Overnight likes this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

THANK you! Your comment should be stickied. (With a footnote about "most" Globex instruments.)

9. isotope1

isotope1

10. just21

just21

I trade bond options that have different times to corn. My point is that sometimes highs and lows on globex may not be on a RTH chart as the times are different.

#10     Mar 21, 2017