Interactive Brokers Futures Margin

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Rickshaw Man, Nov 10, 2017.

1. I just don't get these overnight margin rates at Interactive Brokers. ES overnight initial $8052.25....VIX at all time low, yet these margin rates are thru the roof. What happened to this broker?

Have the machines taken over???????

ES Margin Interactive Brokers.jpg

VPhantom and comagnum like this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Simple, they don't want overnight risk. We introduce to Wedbush. We use the exchange margin.

VPhantom likes this.
  3. comagnum

comagnum

The Roth IRA is 300% above the regular rate ($24,000 for ES) - at TDA it 50% above the regular rate or $6,039.

IB - is a rin-tin-tin outfit - They hit me bogus back billing & will not do anything to fix it. First business I got mad enough over to report to the BBB.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  4. I'm not buying the overnight risk theory. I had an account with IB years ago, The overnight was the same as the exchange rate. I think they do this to generate commissions.

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

And, we offer exchange SPAN margin for IRA accounts when you use a self-directed IRA company like Midland IRA. That is the way my account is set up and I have allocated toward naked options sellers.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That would generate less commissions, as you can't trade as much. This is typical with a full service retail broker.

MoreLeverage and VPhantom like this.
  7. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Could it be a regulatory move? Just like you cant have a Broker-Dealer along an FDM, maybe there is a certain risk you cant take with your Futures side. Just a thought.

8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Thinking of getting off the sim? Good for you bud. The entire ET community has your back! :)

Overnight likes this.
  9. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

No, more commissions, the guy was right. You can have low day trading margins, but if you wish to hold overnight and you do not have enough margin, you would have to liquidate and then reestablish on the new session.

10. Overnight

Overnight

OMM and MattZ are both correct, even though they have opposing views on why they are correct. :)

#10     Nov 10, 2017