Interactive Brokers FIX Interface.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Craig66, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Craig66

Craig66

How does one get the commission cost for an executed order using IB's FIX interface?
    I've been reading the documentation but there seems to be nothing regarding commission. Am I missing something?

2. FIX is a technology and your commission cost for cash currencies in IB are independent of how you submit your orders (TWS, API, FIX). Take a look at the IB commission schedule for currencies which lists the costs in detail. You pay the same commission regardless of whether you submit your order via TWS or API or FIX.

But note that FIX may and does incur additional maintenance and setup cost.

3. Craig66

Craig66

I thought I was clear enough, but maybe not. The API reports the commission cost per executed order in the 'OpenOrder' event, is there no equivalent in their FIX spec?

4. ups, sorry, entirely misunderstood.

5. Despite submitting via FIX I am not sure as I account for commission costs and the analysis separately within a different application than my order engine.

6. Craig66

Craig66

How are you obtaining the commission cost of your orders?

7. The architecture I designed and implemented myself calculates commission itself as function of my different broker schedules.

You can also manually obtain a report from IB at any time off your account mgt site.

I recommend considering commission and execution related cost separately from PNL anyway. This is what most funds and PMs do.

8. Craig66

Craig66

OK. I was hoping not to have to keep up to date with all the exchange fee schedules.
    Isn't that the point of SMART?

9. You do not, that is why you can obtain reports from IB, even in fully electronically processable format (spread sheet) on a daily basis if you so desire. Why do you need to know about the charged commission as part of your order submission logic?

10. Craig66

Craig66

I don't need to know it as part of the submission process per se, I store the commission cost against the order as I receive execution reports, this seemed a fairly logically thing to do, as the profit loss reported not inclusive of the commission. If I want to track P/L in real-time, I don't see any other way to do it, it is the cost of the order after all. To turn the question around, what's the benefit of doing it the way you're doing it?

#10     Jul 13, 2015