Interactive Brokers Charting Poll

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by ibx, Aug 3, 2012.

IB Clients: What charting package do you use?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2012.
  1. Trader Workstation Charting

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. SierraChart

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. NinjaTrader

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. MultiCharts

28 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. E-Signal

7 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. TradeStation

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Bloomberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Reuters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Don't use charts

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Other chart package (please specify)

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. ibx

ibx ET Sponsor

IB is committed to making meaningful improvements to Trader Workstation charting, and would like to better understand IB client chart usage.

(1) What charting package do you use?

(2) Please post suggestions for Trader Workstation charting improvements. In a few days we will compile suggestions into a new poll to help guide chart improvement prioritization.

2. NoBias

NoBias

(1) Tradestation & Multi-chart's

(2) IB charts felt so cumbersome, I rarely used them. Difficult to make any suggestions, other than attempt to emulate either of the above.

Starting with the charting parameters... i.e. format symbol.. tabbed settings, style, scaling, properties

Range: instead of X# of bars, or default bars depending on time frame, provide options, i.e.

days back / weeks back / months back
    or
    Bars back
    or
    last date

Session:
    Ability to set Session in Settings... 24 hr, RTH, RTH+pre, RTH+post, custom

Perhaps add ability to measure % change on Trendline [TS function]
    ability to compress expand visible bars on chart with out changing "display X# bars, or 1 day 5 min bars, etc...

To mention a few.

License or acquire charting package similar to AMP's deal with MC discretionary Trader

3. IB's charts are ugly to look at, slow and awkward to use.

I've used QuoteTracker for years. The charts are easy on the eyes, fast to update and very easy to use.

I am under the impression that QuoteTracker is the most widely used 3rd party charting package for IB customers.

Make IB's charting look, feel and work like QuoteTracker and you will finally have decent charting.

4. I just use tws, that's all I need. But ib has never been known for their charts. There is no end to what could be done to improve them. If I needed better charts, I would use sierra.

5. whatever you do, just make sure there is an easy to find "go back to default" button, so after messing them up for an hour I don't have to spend another hour trying to get them back the way they were.

6. I've looked at IB and the charts are a mess - all clutter.

All good charting packages start as a clean slate and let you decide what you want on them.

But the bigger issue is IB's data - which is not tick by tick with accurate volume.

You can make the charts as pretty as you want, but without robust and unfiltered tick data, it's lipstick on a pig, imo.

7. Catoosa

Catoosa

QuoteTracker for years

8. tws charting, prorealtime and bloomberg

9. I'd like a universal way to switch charts to include premkt/afterhours data. Its a pain doing it for each chart every day.

TWS charts are pretty good now. But there's always room to streamline them in terms of access to setting and parameters - ideally all on right click window.

10. BSAM

BSAM

Three quick and direct points:

1. IB charts have been greatly enhanced over the past 2 or 3 years.

2. Any improvements to make the IB charting more "QuoteTracker-like" would probably be pleasing to most of us.

3. IB charts are good these days, such that, if you can't make money with IB charts, you can't make money.

ET member "ibx", thanks for coming here and looking for our input on how to make IB charting even better.

#10     Aug 3, 2012