Interactive Brokers Candlestick Charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by BCE, May 18, 2005.

1. BCE

BCE

I just opened an account at Interactive Brokers and I'm playing with the TWS software to see what it can do. I had YM up on Monday or maybe it was Friday, and had a live chart opened with 5-min candlesticks with about a 1 hr or 30 min range. They worked great and looked great. They were about 1/2" thick and maybe 1" long. If the 5-min candle was lower it was red, higher green, and as each candlestick was forming the candle was red or green with a thin yellow line or maybe a black line through the middle with a dot in the middle and would flash black if the last trade was at the previous candle's close or red or green if it was lower or higher respectively. You could see the trades as they were made. Now the last few days when I tried to recreate this, I couldn't. :-( I called them but it was after the software people left and the guy I talked to didn't know. Does anyone know what I'm referring to and how to recreate this? Did they just change the software so you can't do this? Thanks.

2. Standalone or the web version of the new beta?

3. BCE

BCE

I'm using a public computer right now so it was the previous version of the web software. I see they just came out with a new one yesterday. The candlesticks looked a little like this one on the left except they were red and green with the line through the middle, as I mentioned. http://www.altavest.com/images/chart20.gif
    I'll be using the standalone probably early next week. Thanks.

4. I am not using the web software so I guess I will be no help.
    I can not recreate what you show in the chart with the standalone
    either. But it is afterhours so I believe that might have something
    to do with it...?

5. BCE

BCE

Thanks for trying. I just saw that other thread with the IBsoft guy talking about the new charts and mentioning he didn't see the difference between candlesticks and bar charts so maybe they did change it. I'll post over there and see if that helps and maybe PM him. Thanks. :)

6. chartie

chartie

Did you check your settings while opening a new chart?

1. Time period – 1 day? 2 hours?
    2. “Keep chart up-to-date” checked?
    3. What to show – trades? 5 mins bar?
    4. “Also show MidPoint (or Bid/Ask)” checked?
    5. “Show data outside of regular trading hours” checked?

7. BCE

BCE

Yes I had all those checked like you mention. Tried all the combos and nothing worked. Can you recreate the candlesticks like I'm mentioning? Thanks.

8. chartie

chartie

Something like this one?

[​IMG]

9. BCE

BCE

Well, I couldn't even create that. :) The ones I was using were shaped more like the ones in the link I gave. But the yellow line through the middle is similar and maybe if we changed the time frame they would be fatter and more similar. And actually looking at these again, they are very similar. How did you create these? And are you using the standalone software? Which version? Thanks for your help with this. :)

10. chartie

chartie

Yes, I am using the standalone TWS, v845.

And because now is “outside of regular trading hours”, I used 4 hour/15-min bar. Everything else was mentioned above.

Good luck :)

#10     May 18, 2005