Interactive Brokers API: symbol for ES continuous futures contract

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by pisa, Oct 16, 2015.

1. pisa

pisa

Since Interactive Brokers provides continuous futures contracts for a while now did everyone know if historical data will be available through the api and under what symbol these data can be requested for the ES?

2. Stewie

Stewie

I didn't know IB provides continuous futures contracts. What is the symbol?

Historical data is tricky because of the rollover rule (volume based vs. time based). Each person has to decide themselves which is more important, so its odd to me that IB would allow continuous contracts because now this means they are picking it for me. I realize the general rule seems to be that the Friday is the day that the new contract is traded, but this is still arbitrary and every 3 months, you are essentially trading something different, from an accounting point of view.

3. i960

i960

IMO the most reliable is volume based. Also it completely varies based on contract and exchange. Many contracts outside of CME differ quite a bit in their rollover schedules.

As far as API symbol goes I doubt there is one. My bet is that IB simple builds it on the fly with TWS.

Aside from that a cheap subscription to Sierra Chart will get you historical data for years and its capable of doing the same kind of data assemblage. That being said you might be desiring it for existing automated purposes and SC may be less useful.

4. pisa

pisa

Stewie likes this.
  5. pisa

pisa

That may be the case. I just thought since they provide charting within TWS for these contracts the data maybe is available through the API as well.

6. i960

i960

Your solution might be to basically do what everyone else is doing: calculate it yourself. You shouldn't have to bother with back adjusting or anything, just the transition points.

7. gizmodo

gizmodo

Is there a setting in IB where they will rollover the futures for you automatically? IB also seems to unilaterally change the margin requirements in a way that is unrelated to volatility (I'm looking at trading Japanese futures). Any idea how to forecast margin changes? Thanks!

8. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Index futures are rolled over automatically. Use the requestHistoricalData API call to download historical data, don't forget to set the flag to download expired contract data.