Interactive Brokers and API

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Reitberg, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Bob111

Bob111

that was strange...maybe you should try one more time? or send email to moderator or something?
    i been in and out in this group for years, but last time(about week ago)-when i want to find out some info-did not let me. looks like -it not public anymore. i did click on link to join-it take about day or two,before i receive approval email! man...
    mostly i use pages from this group as link to methods\events page on IB website))))). but for beginners-there is a plenty of stuff to chew. examples,code samples-everything you need to start. have no idea-why in not public anymore.

#11     Sep 29, 2003
  2. get a grip folks
    any serious traders/ctas won't use tws.
    do you really think john w. henry, george soros or paul tudor jones use it

#12     Sep 29, 2003
  3. Bob111

Bob111

----So, where can I get started on learning Active X?----

blade-this is a question. we not talking here about did soros use API or not. or you post your messages to get senior level?

#13     Sep 29, 2003
  4. Blade is a retard. A lot of hedge funds use the IB TWS.

Data is data. You can use ILX for your data, the pro track data services. Whatever you want to use. Tradestation.

In the end, it is all of the same stuff.

#14     Sep 29, 2003
  5. Bob111

Bob111

here is example for Visual basic
    make sure that you have VB installed (for view code)
    and on TWS-configure-Enable ActiveX is enabled(if you want to start project.exe. also make sure that ActiveX component was installed. it's very very basic project to show-how to connect and recieve quotes in your application

#15     Sep 29, 2003
  6. ges

ges

What a silly, useless comment.

Kinda like this one. :p

#16     Sep 29, 2003
  7. Bob, thanks for uploading the files.

I don't want to be a baby and ask for the step by step "how to," but I actually have no idea how to use this stuff. If you wouldn't mind explaining how to use these files, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#17     Sep 29, 2003
  8. Bob111

Bob111

you can unzip files, then-as i mentioned before-make sure that in TWS(demo or not) -clock on tab CONFIGURE-> API-> ActiveX enable-check this box. then-you can start project1.exe file. if TWS control are installed on your computer-then you will be able to see data in this demo programm.
    as i said before-if you want to look into code-you need VB6 installed(can be found on kazaa)
    if you dont know anything-i simply cannot explain every line. even if i do-it not going to give you anything.
    here is all code from those files-

Option Explicit

Dim vol(3) As Single

Dim id(3) As Long
    Dim symbol(3) As String
    Dim stockId(3) As Integer
    Dim secType(3) As String
    Dim expiry As String
    Dim strike As Long
    Dim right As String
    Dim exchange(3) As String
    Dim curency As String
    Dim port As Long

Dim i As Integer

Private Sub cmd_Click()

Dim i As Integer

For i = LBound(symbol) To UBound(symbol)

Tws1.reqMktData id(i), UCase(symbol(i)), secType(i), expiry, strike, right, exchange(i), curency

Next

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()

For i = LBound(id) To UBound(id)

id(i) = i
    secType(i) = "STK"
    exchange(i) = "SMART"
    expiry = ""
    strike = 0
    right = ""
    curency = ""

Next

port = 7496

symbol(0) = "AMAT"
    symbol(1) = "KLAC"
    symbol(2) = "BEAS"
    symbol(3) = "ALTR"

For i = LBound(symbol) To UBound(symbol)

lblStock(i) = symbol(i)

Next

Form1.Tws1.Connect "", port, 1

End Sub
    Private Sub Tws1_tickPrice(ByVal id As Long, ByVal tickType As Long, ByVal price As Double)

stockId(id) = 1
    txt(id) = Format(price, "0.00")

End Sub
    Private Sub Tws1_tickSize(ByVal id As Long, ByVal tickType As Long, ByVal size As Long)

' vol(id) = vol(id) + (size * 100)
    If tickType = 5 Then

lblVol(id) = size * 100

End If

End Sub

that about it.......

#18     Sep 29, 2003
  9. rognvald,

There are too many spammers on yahoo groups these days, and since posting is unmoderated, the list owner went to an approval membership to cut down on the spam. Too many spammers start a new yahoo or hotmail email address one day then attempt to join and spam the TWSAPI group. By default newly created yahoo accounts get auto rejected - nothing personal, just a way to filter out spammers.

Unfortunately legit guys who newly set up yahoo accounts also get autorejected. So, send an email to TWSAPI-owner@yahoogroups.com and provide a few pieces of info like how long you've been trading, what software you're using, what markets you trade, (so we know you're legit) and what your yahoo user name is, and then reapply and I'll let you in when I see your user name. Or just PM me the info here on ET and reapply.

#19     Sep 30, 2003
  10. rognvald

rognvald

I have responded to TWSAPI owner as requested and will reapply in 24 hrs
    No offence taken

#20     Sep 30, 2003