intenet provider for home trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ballsofgold, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

#11     Feb 27, 2007
  2. I use Time Warner with the premium plan and have never had any problems. It's the fastest download/upload speeds I have had so you should be pleased.

I am in the Dallas, Texas area so your results may very due to your location.

#12     Feb 27, 2007
  3. That is alot. I told you I have 6-8 megabits per second down, yours would be 12 megabits per second, which is even faster. Check the upload, ask them the upload capped. I think you would want it over 250kilobits per second. Every time you send something from your computer over the internet, from you, you are using upload speed. My typing and sending is using my up speed when I send on ET. You transmitting orders requires upload speed. Make sense? I am in a hotcomm room and on Skype sometimes, this all take bandwidth, down when they communicate with me, upload speed when I communicate with them.

#13     Feb 27, 2007
  4. MaxLD

MaxLD

"The Need For Speed"

When I was still a young AF pilot, speed WAS an important consideration. Now that I am retired from flying and trade fulltime, I'm here to tell you that the lowly "dialup" is plenty fast to execute anything I've ever needed. My dialup handles 2 javascript trading platforms (one for each account) with ease...just as smoothly as when I tested my performance against a Comcast cable connection. NO difference!

Of course, loading web pages does take more time. Okay, lots more time, but once my accounts are logged in to and my trading screens are operational, I can get executions as fast as anybody.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have high speed internet available to me. The Hughes satellite system would be my only option. My neighbor has it and often reports down time and slow response time because apparently satellite traffic is prioritized. My SBC Global setup has never let me down.

For what it's worth. Good trades...

A quick question please, directed to you multi-monitor guys...What is it that you guys are looking at?

#14     Feb 27, 2007
  5. I am looking at multi time frames, same symbol. I am an intraday e-mini trader. One screen is for the trading chat rooms i am in and my DOM too. I could easily use 5-7 19's. Right now I have 3, but soon going back to 4. The same set up works on ES, ER2, NQ, QM, EC, etc. I know at home traders that have 10!. I don't know that I could process that much info.

But this I can say for sure. Dial up would never work for what I do. If your Comcast is that slow I am sorry for you, seriously. Soon I will be getting DSL as a backup and probably a dual wan router. I treat trading as a business. No business I know would run off of dial up. If that works for you, that's great.

#15     Feb 27, 2007
  6. MaxLD

MaxLD

I haven't had that many screens staring back at me since I got off the 777.

I consider myself a professional trader, running a business as well. Every trader MUST look at it that way or he won't be trading very long. The dialup just isn't a limiting factor. Good luck...

#16     Feb 27, 2007
  7. Dial-up! Fast enough. Dependable. No drops. No hacks.

Like I have any choice. Wireless customers here complain of fade outs, drop outs and what about lack of security on wireless. No dsl option here. Could use satellite, but I hear nothing but complaints.

#17     Feb 28, 2007
  8. Comcast as my main (19MBs Down)
    DSL as backup

Waiting on fiber to get in my neighborhood.

#18     Feb 28, 2007
  9. bluud

bluud

#19     Feb 28, 2007
  10. Boy, I really feel sorry for you guys. Here in Japan
    most of us have optical fiber connections with up
    and down speed of 100Mbps for just $30 a month.
    True, to send an order, 100Mbps or just 1Mbps makes
    no difference. But on one connection I run 3 computers
    with 5 monitors with eSig, IB and 3 other big local
    platforms plus IE and OE. All run solid as a rock!

Hope you guys get there someday.

#20     Feb 28, 2007