Intel's "Core 2 Duo" CPU Chips

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1bigsteve, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Have any of you people heard anything about Intel's new CPU chip, "Core 2 Duo?"

Intel says it runs 40% cooler and 40% faster. I heard it will be in new desk top computers in about two weeks. I was going to buy an HP with the Intel Pentium D 3.2Ghz CPU this week but I thought it might be better to wait for the new chips.

Also, what do you think about the AMD's vs. Intel's CPU's, is there an advantage of one over the other for stock trading?

What do you guys think?

-1bigsteve (o:

2. gnome

gnome

Might as well wait for AMD's 4x4.

3. does that come with some angry tires so I can do donuts? ;)

(Honda moving into planes, a computer chip manufacturer starting to make some four wheel drives, strange world we live in)

4. I have one that came in a new Sony Vaio. Fast as hell. But it seems to me that it runs very hot. The area by the mouse pad is hot to the touch. Very annoying.

5. Good.....all the Pentium D's will drop in price so I can go get a couple more.

6. My main work station is a Pentium D 2.8 GHrz w/ 2 gigs of RAM connected to 4 monitors. Absolutely satisfied and since I won't upgrade to Vista for its first 2-3 years it should be more than adequate to run my TWS and Ensign (with about 40 stacked charts) during the trading hours in the forseeable future. I also play online games on it (still young at heart :p), and whenever a new map loads on a server (Counter-Strike:Source and Day of Defeat:Source), I am usually the first or the second one on. The P D pricing is expected to drop further some time next month so it might be worth the wait. Core 2 Duo has some great reviews but for the sake of trading, I'd say it could be a bit of an overkill.

7. AMD's new dual dual-core, aka 4x4.
    There are so many arguments on which one is better between AMD and INTC, amd for now, but as you can see, if you wait for long enough, the next one will always better, unless the next one is Pentium 4 vs Pentium 3. LOL

8. Given that most trading platforms these days run very "thin" and don't require a lot of reading and writing to the hard drive any current processor that you chose should be just fine for your trading needs.

Don't get carried away with splitting hairs.

As the previous poster stated, he is running fine with a 2.8 Ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM.
    I'm at 2.6 Ghz and only 1 Gig of RAM and my RealTick platform runs fine with an Nvidia FX-5700 128mb graphics card via a Comcast broadband connection.

:)

9. lwlee

lwlee

Core 2 Duo is the sh*t. AMD won't have an answer until next year. Take a look at all the websites that post performance numbers like Anandtech and Tom's Hardware. Core 2 Duo is a big leap foward and extremely cost effective. AMD will have to drastically cut prices to even things out. Actually they've already done so.

Intel hasn't been on top for a long time. This time they got it right. Even power consumption is pretty darn good.

10. AMD already has cut x2 prices by about 50% this week. My guess is that in performance per dollar there won't be much difference between AMD and Intel. If you want the highest performance then the Intel Core 2 certainly looks to be the business at the top end of the scale.

#10     Jul 29, 2006