Intel SSD 320, 80GB, $70... <$1/GB, AR. Offer expires tomorrow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Sorry I don't quite follow you traderharley.

You can have both the SSD and the Spinner drive hooked up at the same time. But, I believe, whichever physical drive you BOOT FROM (maybe selectable from your BIOS, I don't know)... then Windows will assign it as the C drive. If you boot from the SSD drive, the SSD drive will be your "C:" drive in Windows. If you boot from your Spinner drive, the Spinner drive will be your "C:" drive in Windows. The other drive will be mounted by Windows as other disks and would be assigned a letter - may be D:, maybe E:, maybe F:, so on... depending on if you have other partitions defined on your SSD.

Anyways... I assume that you want a SSD because it is fast, and you want to boot from it. So your SSD will be your C: drive. But all your other software were installed on the Spinner drive, which is anything but C: drive. So you would need to re-install all your software on the SSD.

I suppose there are ways to trick Windows to retain those software without re-installing. I am not sure. It may get more messy than it's worth - than re-installing on the new SSD.

#11     Feb 2, 2012
  2. Thank you so much Bolimomo for your detail explanation.

#12     Feb 2, 2012
  3. It's sold out. I would have grabbed one. How are they performing as an OS drive?

#13     Feb 3, 2012
  4. I've got them in a couple of my machines.. they are good.. about the same as the X25-M G2s. They don't bench as fast as all the ones with a Sandforce controller, but are accepted as be among the most reliable of brands/models. And those who have tried the really fast ones say there is no perceptible difference in every day operations vs. the ones regarded as "not the fastest". A recent Tom's Hardware article basically said the same thing. Best performance increase usually seen in notebooks.

Newegg had similar sale/rebate a couple of weeks ago as well as this one. Perhaps Intel is trying to clear excess inventory and you'll get another shot soon. I bought a couple of extras... after writing them off, the after-tax cost is cheap enough to have spares around. And the 320 is one of the few with 5-year warranty.

#14     Feb 3, 2012