Intel Dual Core better for trading/video edit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richardyu301, Feb 5, 2006.

1. #11     Feb 8, 2006
  2. What about this?

"Beware. Multi-core and/or multi-threaded cpus are the only thing the
    high end CPU manufacturers are able to produce today that they can
    still claim to be "faster." There is a HUGE incentive for them to
    create demand for their design lest it become irrelevant and they be
    forced to sell only low-margin commodity single core hardware. This
    means we'll see a ton of papers and people paid or coerced into
    suggesting that this is the best thing since time sliced bread."
    Gregory P. Smith

#12     Feb 8, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

Good, single core CPUs should soon be "going for a song"... we should snap 'em up!

#13     Feb 8, 2006
  4. Maybe.
    More likely, we'll be paying the price of two but use in truth only one (mostly, for quite some time).

PS: Good easy days are gone. In fact with ole Gross' law we should be at above 10GHz right now; we may hit 4GHz perhaps by end 2006.
    Don't forget: 3Ghz + 3Ghz ain't 6GHz. :D

#14     Feb 8, 2006
  5. I just heard something about IBM revealing a new chip called the "cell". Something about 9 sub-processors on 1 chip. To be first released in the next sony playstation. The chip is only designed, so-far, for graphical mapping, but IBM is looking for other companies to expand it's utilization. The DoD and toshiba televisions are gonna be using them as well.

#15     Feb 8, 2006
  6. what's wrong with dual cpu's
    I run 2 diferent tradingprograms at the same time on the same PC, a pro board runs more stable en faster and use less power
    i do no upgrades every year

medio 2001 my first dual tradingboard was a Tyan S2460 dual MP1200, it runs now at my daughters place upgraded to 2 x MP1800 GHz
    dec. 2004 i buy my Tyan S2885, its dual core ready,its runs 24/24- 7/7 like a hors.
    So who does the most profit ?

#16     Feb 8, 2006
  7. eSignal IS a multi-threaded application therefore it very likely will benefit from 2 processors even though it wasn't specifically written for multiprocessing (whether in 2 separate CPUs or in a single dual-core CPU).

If you don't believe this, open up Task Manager's Process List and enable the Threads column. Look for the WinSig.exe process and note the number of threads it uses. Even with a single chart open WinSig.exe already uses about 6 threads. As you open up more charts, you will see the thread count go up with each addtional chart you open.

I run eSignal on dual-Xeon boxes. Some of my .efs formulas can cause WinSig to pin both CPUs at close to 100% in a fast market.

#17     Feb 8, 2006
  8. Are dual core cpus faster or not? Geez....its like asking some traders if they are profitable, come up with all kinds of good sounding reasons...but rarely answer the question

#18     Feb 9, 2006
  9. The truth is that most of the usual stuff will run equally well on many processors, even old PIII's.

All my broker and quote stream traffic runs off a 1600MHz capable AMD Turion 3200. As this computer uses CPU speed throttling, I definitely can tell you that it never goes higher than 800MHz. :)

Benchmarking software on a multiprocessor cpu is far beyond the capabilities of many. In fact, I haven't seen any yet valid for run of the mill applications.
    If you have some hard figures, post please.

As pointed out in the except in my previous post, a lot of marketing pressure is applied to make naive souls believe in the 'unperturbed' rise of the current day cpu products. This chapter is closed for a few years already.
    In typical cases 2 * 3Ghz is far less than 6GHz. :(

#19     Feb 9, 2006
  10. depends what you mean by faster...I don't think a 2.0 Ghz Opteron will be 'faster' stock than a 2.2 Ghz X2 no matter whether it's part of a dual core or not.

I just bought an X2 3800 after looking into the single/dual core thing. It's clear that dual core won't benefit apps that aren't 'multithreaded SMP aware'. However, with dual you can assign certain tasks to run on one or the other proc, so stuff that would have run in the background on a single core, thereby slowing down whatever you are doing, would run on a separate proc. I am no geek, but this is my understanding of one of the benefits of dual core. Some guys also said that with dual core, you are going to get a 'buttery' feel to your machine!! Never knew that the geeks could wax so poetic.

I had an exchange with Baron about this and he is still of the opinion that for trading, there is no compelling reason to go dual core yet for strictly trading reasons, and that connection speed and quality will be the bottleneck "way before his processor or other system components would be".

#20     Feb 9, 2006