Intel CEO: U.S. faces looming tech decline

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 1flyfisher, Aug 25, 2010.

1. This is a very good article. Jobs leaving this country do so for a reason. U.S. has the second highest corporate taxes in the industrialized world. Best part was the statement that capital has no religion no philosophy. It goes where it is most welcome. And That isn't here in the U.S.

As a result, he said, "every business in America has a list of more variables than I've ever seen in my career." If variables like capital gains taxes and the R&D tax credit are resolved correctly, jobs will stay here, but if politicians make decisions "the wrong way, people will not invest in the United States. They'll invest elsewhere."

Take factories. "I can tell you definitively that it costs $1 billion more per factory for me to build, equip, and operate a semiconductor manufacturing facility in the United States," Otellini said.

The rub: Ninety percent of that additional cost of a $4 billion factory is not labor but the cost to comply with taxes and regulations that other nations don't impose. (Cypress Semiconductor CEO T.J. Rodgers elaborated on this in an interview with CNET, saying the problem is not higher U.S. wages but anti-business laws: "The killer factor in California for a manufacturer to create, say, a thousand blue-collar jobs is a hostile government that doesn't want you there and demonstrates it in thousands of ways.")

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014563-38.html?tag=mncol;1n

2. the us has one of the lowest effective corporate tax rates in the western world.

3. poyayan

poyayan

The problem is : us is not competing with western world for business only.

4. Fishaman

Fishaman

Good post. This is indicative of the decades of poor leadership we've had in this country. To observe the United States from the 1950's until now is a portrait of how <b>not</b> to run a country. We were sitting in THE dominant world position on so many fronts, but through incompetence, we've managed to turn most of our strengths into weaknesses.

5. The U.S. corporate tax burden is smaller than average for developed countries.[1] Corporations in 19 of the member states of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development paid 16.1 percent of their profits in taxes between 2000 and 2005, on average, while corporations in the United States paid 13.4 percent

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=784

6. Bob111

Bob111

i've seen few guys who also moving their business some place else..not because of taxes, but for simplicity sake..
    i was looking for solution for my wash sales and thinking to write my own software, but when i start reading about "this simple rule"...fuck all this shit...

http://www.fairmark.com/capgain/wash/

and i'm not in the mood to pay 1K for some shit like gainskeeper,which will do everything on their side. fuck no..
    can those morons in DC simplify this shit? they literally killing every single productive person in US