Instinctive daytrading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by sunggong, Aug 5, 2006.

1. I absolute agree that its more profitable with this way of trading. I also use 1 minute charts with simple moving averages indicators to trade the e mini russell 2000. Get in and get out within a couple of minutes and sometimes within seconds. So far I have been quite successful with this method than all other methods which I'd used in the past

#21     Aug 6, 2006
  2. Ticketwatcher,

That was an excellent post.

I have experimented with multiple strategies when I started and found that even with all the plans, the most important factor, at least for me, in daytrading has been the confidence.

My confidence derives from knowing that the risk associated with purchasing any stock is less than the profit potential.

Over the last four months, staring at the charts for hours and hours has helped me to get a good feel for how the stock normally behaves, and I somehow managed to find some intraday patterns that works in my favor, and I can "feel" when these patterns are about to be formed. (In an idiotic way, it's somewhat like how Nash saw cryptic messages on newspaper articles from the movie "The Beautiful Mind." Just a pattern popping out to me. :)

I do realize that this may not be the most scientific approach to daytrading, but it works nevertheless. And actually, it's scientific in some ways since most institutions nowadays employ automated trading algorithms, and we all know that algorithms are based on certain set of rules, which can be repeatedly executed over time, thus generating identifiable trends over and over again.

Perhaps I got lucked out with being able to get a feel for these patterns.

I will undoubtedly have to continue to develop other strategies that work for me and I certainly don't want to be happy with 100k yearly potential. But for now, this "method" has been highly successful and I plan to keep trading this way until I accumulate more capital.

Once I build some capital, I can afford to raise the stake on each trades and even try out other methods, but it's a good feeling knowing that I found a method that allows me to consistently make money on a daily basis.

#22     Aug 6, 2006
  3. that,my friend,was a kick ass post........................great breakdown & the common denominator on what processes information on a second to second basis.........................i find myself straddling the two sides all day long & have found a comfortable common ground for the two without much conflict.

#23     Aug 6, 2006
  4. sunggong

If a trade goes against you, at what point do you tell yourself that your instinct was wrong?

#24     Aug 6, 2006
  5. FITENOB

FITENOB

instinctive daytrading is good, but can lead to burnout

Focusing on pattern recognition, disciplined systematic/mechanical approach will keep you in the game, more importantly build wealth consistently.

#25     Aug 6, 2006
  6. S2007S

S2007S

sunggong how many lots are you trading when you trade to make an avg of $400 a day with a 25-26k daytrading account???
    How do you determine to take a loss or not, for instance if you add a position and within 30 mins your down 100 bucks do you cut your losses or wait for it to snap back?

I started swingtrading/daytrading about a year ago, on average im trading anywhere between 100-300 share lots. May not be a lot but right now im keeping my risk extremely low.

#26     Aug 6, 2006
  7. bl82

bl82

I agree with the above as well as the increased risk of burnout too.

Making the transition from doing things instinctively to being able to decribe those instincts in terms of patterns, rules, etc. is the big step you will have to make.

I suggest developing a detailed log of each trade where you try to describe your setups, reasons for entry, reasons for exit, etc. -- then when you study those you will in all likelihood find that your instincts are merely unwritten rules. Codify those rules, tweak them, continue to learn from your trading log, etc. and you are on the way to making the transition from an instinctive discretionary trader who risks a rapid burnout...to a better disciplined semi-mechanical trader whose codified 'instincts' can provide a relatively emotion-free income stream.

Good trading!

#27     Aug 6, 2006
  8. ivob

ivob

You probably already gave the answer. As soon as the trade goes agains him..

Ivo

#28     Aug 6, 2006
  9. ivob

ivob

I found this to be useful: To focus on what a stock doesn't do.

Get out if it doesn't do what you thought it would do allows you often to get out at a good price or even with a small profit.

regards.
    Ivo

#29     Aug 6, 2006
  10. FITENOB and bl82,

Maybe I haven't daytraded long enough yet, but so far based on my experience, I must disagree that there is a risk of burnout with my method.

Like I said, the current method offers very little to no stress because I pick a very good entry point in most cases (VERY IMPORTANT by the way).

If I get it wrong, I exit. I never avg down. I figured if a stock is going down, I can sell and get in lower. If I get fooled by a quick fake drop, so be it. I really don't care. I have stuck to my rule of getting out quickly and I can wait for the next opportunity.

The idea of analyzing my trades more in-depth to better understand my instinctive trades however is a very good one. I have a degree in computer science, so I should certainly explore this option of semi-automation or even full-automation. Thanks.

#30     Aug 6, 2006