Installing XP

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by janko, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

I don't understand why anyone would want to be a paying beta tester for Microsoft (that is, you pay them, they don't pay you).:( XP is a brand new O/S with millions upon millions of lines of code. Why be the guinea pig when you can install proven rock-solid systems like WinNT or Win2000 (NT had 6 service packs, W2K has had 2 so far). If you absolutely insist on XP then please have the good sense to wait for the first Service Pack as someone previously suggested. Microsoft knows that many people (including corporate IT) will not install a new operating system until that Pack is available, so they usually rush the first one out the door.

#11     Oct 24, 2001
  2. janko

janko

well on this XP - MSFT wont make a penny - at least not off me:cool:

#12     Oct 24, 2001
  3. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

Here we have 98, W2000, NT4 and XP.. no hearsay, just the real thing.

98 sucks for memory management (some tools available, search this website for analogx )

W2000 is NT5 (or NT4 + USB and Com+ ) It is very good.

XP is very nice and very different. the way to work with it, is really something else. But it takes much more memory and CPU than 98 or W2000. it is quite incredible (this will push sales for Intel if XP is even slightly a success).
    Security issues are REAL with this OS though. There are always, but with XP it is even more actual.
    So XP does cost : extra RAM, firewall and other software protection (well, you need that anyway) and maybe a new computer.

We have it on 2 computers. One is new and a monster, XP looks good and works well.. the other one we had before.. well.. I'd like to revert to W2000.
    That really sums it I think.

tntneo

#13     Oct 24, 2001
  4. janko

janko

hey tntneo waht kind of memory are we talking, 256mb enough on 500mhz amd? or dont bother ans just use 2k? thnx

#14     Oct 24, 2001
  5. Wirehead

Wirehead

tntneo, is right on with his description. New Microsoft OS's always have problems when they come out. The advice on waiting for at least the first service pack is great. From what I have read Microsoft is merging Win98 and Win2k into XP. In other words it is for the home user and the business user and you do no longer have to buy two operating systems. However, you will have to buy an operating system for each computer you own. When you install it, it searches your machine for all the components installed, then calls in to get you the appropriate machine ID number or some such thing. If you want to install it to another machine you cannot. If you want to reinstall it to the same machine you can. If you upgrade or switch too many parts on your computer it may give you a problem. This is a different animal. From what I heard and read though, once the bugs get ironed out, it should be more stable than Win2k, and the most stable OS Microsoft has ever put out.

#15     Oct 24, 2001
  6. coops

coops

Go with Wondows2000 - it's reliable and has been sorted out. Xp on the other hand is new, so is bound to have the usual new windows product problems.

I haven't had any problems finding drivers for Win2000 also due to it's 'age'.

I would also highly recommend a dual install if your hard disk is big enough. To do so, get Partition magic 6 or higher. Much, much easier. Install BootMagic too onto your Win98 system.

(I have just done this with WinME and Win2000).

If all your Win98 system and data is one C: partition, you may want to first of all create a logical partition D: in FAT32, and move all your data (My Documents etc) to this partition. Change your Win98 defaults in Excel etc to go this D: My Documents by default.

Create Win2000 boot disks - in Win98 explore your Win2000 CD. You'll find a BOOTDISK folder. Run the MAKEBOOT.EXE file in that folder. You'll need 4 floppies. You'll need these to boot up the new blank primary partition you are going to create for Win2000.

Then create a new primary partition (FAT32) after your Win98 or ME. (Operating systems can only be installed to primary partitions - Partiton magic has lots of info on this side of things). Click on the option to make it active once finished. Once your sytem reboots, it should be 'dead' ie nothing will reboot. Just checking that Partition Magic did it's thing. Reboot again with the first Win2000 boot disk inserted (you may as well put your Win2000 CD in now aswell). Follow the instructions, note you will at some point be prompted about what partition you want to install to. Choose the one you created (call it Win2000 or whatever when you create it with Partition Magic). Carry on etc etc.

Now you'll have both systems on your PC.

Configure Bootmagic in Win98, and in Win2000 go to Control Panel/Sytem/Advanced/Startup and Recovery and set Win2000 as default sytem and uncheck the "Display list of operatins systems...." Now you've got rid of the Win2k boot up system choice screen, and will have only the Bootmagic screen on boot up. Note that the defaults in Bootmagic for visible partitions will very probably be correct - ie for Win98 you'll want the Win2000 parition hidden. This will mean when you boot up into Win98 the Win2000 partition will be invisible to Win98 system and to you (check in MY Computer).

Now boot into Win2000 and sort out all your drivers. I'd recommend installing your high speed internet connection first! You'll need it to update Win2k with all the patches etc and everything else.

Make sure you create all the rescue disks possible - ie for Partition Magic and Bootmagic.

Phew............

At least you still have your old system as a backup til you are happy with 2000. You can delete the Win98 partition later when you are happy and resize your Win2000 partition. You can then choose to change to NTFS file systems if you want ............ i recommended FAT32 first since then you can share all your data etc on D: with both systems...

the other alternative is ....... buy a new PC :D

#16     Oct 25, 2001
  7. MegRean

MegRean

@janko

sorry for this late answear.. i'm quite busy currently ...

I wouldn't upgrade your existing installation .. better you go for a completely new one .. then you can be sure that no old dll's or whatever disturb your system

#17     Oct 25, 2001
  8. MegRean

MegRean

perhaps i should also mention that I ripped all this graphic style shit out and turned back to the look & feel of w2k ... a few tweaks also have to be performed..

#18     Oct 25, 2001
  9. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

very good posts !
    @janko : really forget XP with an older computer. My desktop computer is a Pentium Celeron 500mhz too, so no offense. You will be much happier with W2000. Really.
    XP runs well on the new server we installed : AMD 1.4Ghz with 1GB or RAM (I told you it was a monster).
    You just have to shut out all the XP commercials flooding TV for the next few months.

Not that I don't like XP. I find it 'cute'. It is just not reasonable unless you buy a new computer and accept security issues. forget the hype and stick to something which is somewhat proven (W2000).

#19     Oct 25, 2001
  10. janko

janko

thank you all for the posts. well i got both win xp and 2k, i will smack on the 2k and then mess with xp on another machine and see which one is best. i guess it just needs to be compatible with ib. i started loading xp and it did its system scan and said it might not be compatible with java version blah blah blah, which i got for ib's site, so that kinda freaked me out a bit. but w2k it is. yeah the commericials are going to be a pain but oh well. Man everyone is talkign up this xp to be the most stable system MSFT ever put out there. i'll stay tuned and see what happenes down the road. but thnx for your help guys. :p

#20     Oct 25, 2001