Installing XP pro from nothing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joab, Jun 3, 2008.

1. chisel

chisel

gnome,

Re: Acronis
    My current computer runs W2K and I backup to a second hard drive which is bootable (all I have to do is change the boot order in the BIOS) using Duocor's System Guardian/Exact Copy. Love the program, but can't use for WinXP SP2 or later on a new rig I'm planning to build. Can I do the same thing with Acronis (boot to the backup hard drive)?

#11     Jul 2, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

Theoretically yes. However, I tried it once on a machine which "didn't like" trying to boot from the 2nd hard drive... but that was a "Master & Slave on the same IDE channel" arrangement. Anything new today should be SATA and should work... though I haven't tried it. (I used to clone often, but now I do that occasionally while "imaging" more frequently.)

#12     Jul 2, 2008
  3. chisel

chisel

Thanks gnome...appreciate the info.

#13     Jul 2, 2008
  4. tstew

tstew

If you are using Acronis and have a recent image, you just throw in a new drive, boot to the Acronis Cd and do a "Restore" to the new drive. Maybe this explanation would be better...

Drive C working just fine. Acronis has made an "image" and makes regular incremental updates to Drive D. (all my machines do this every night around 2am) Drive C fails. :(

You toss it in the street. Throw a new drive in and boot to Acronis CD. Restore from latest incremental backup image file to new Drive C. Exit Acronis when done and all should be fine.

I've had to do this a fair amount recently, setting up some new machines. Worked fine. Old IDE drives, plan to go out for breakfast. SATA 1 drives (50 gig of stuff on 120 gig drive) took about 40 minutes. Newer SATA 2 drives, 20 gig of stuff took 6-8 minutes.

I tried RAID mirroring and ended up using this method. Works for me (maybe, that says something about my standards...).

Good luck!

#14     Jul 7, 2008
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

Been running the new build box with VISTA BUSINESS for a few months now and all has been fine. Startup is slower than with XP and is no biggie but was wondering if there are web sites out there now to show what "BLOAT" in processes or services in VISTA than can be DISABLED.

Vista is no problem really but considering the "BLOAT", if i had to do all over again i would pass on VISTA. Probably by the time VISTA is all bebugged and up to speed i will pass up on the next operating system if it is another version of "FLUFF". thks

#15     Jul 7, 2008