Inside Real Estates Black Hole In Search Of Fantastic Opportunities

Discussion in 'Economics' started by the gardner, May 12, 2008.

1. I'll probably by a property this year to fix up. Long term Southern Florida looks good, there is no room to expand. I'm small time and couldn't swing more than a couple of properties right now. I'm a contractor so I do know that part of the business.

#21     May 13, 2008
  2. Agreed. Now is not the time to buy. Wait at least a year, probably longer.

#22     May 13, 2008
  3. Cutten

Cutten

Buy the real estate that is holding up and aligned with macroeconomic trends:

Midwest farmland
    Oil patch (e.g. Texas, Alberta)
    Former doldrums e.g. Germany, Japan
    Anywhere near thriving mining/commodity areas e.g. Darwin, Australia
    Sugar plantations

These will stay relatively undervalued due to the overall real estate difficulties, yet they will hold up and probably rise despite the overall market getting killed.

"Normal" real estate is still not at a bottom.

#23     May 13, 2008
  4. I'm in west Texas and the market is OK here, there are a few good deals out there for someone who can handle a big remodel job, probably marginal if all the work has to be contracted out.

#24     May 13, 2008
  5. yes their have been some excellent suggestions

canada....i like nova scotias south shore and prince edwards islands north shore mahone bay

australias queensland is also very very good to be exact noosa heads looks good down under

midwest farmland also a favorite of mine its all over loopnet.com
    wyomings star valley a little town named freedom ....also drigs idaho.....

yes florida is great...cheepest big city in america long term...miami

all very interesting ideas .......where and what else can be suggested where will we make ten times our money in the next 15 yrs

g

#25     May 13, 2008
  6. remember i am not suggesting real estate is at a bottom

but......now is the time to start working on future purchases

now is the time to think hard as to ..where will real estate rise

where will the greatest upside be ..lets do our homework

believe me a lot of money is about to be made...especially if your in the right location for the right reasons for the right ammount of time g

#26     May 13, 2008
  7. There is rebuilding of some cities, street scapes, building rehabbed, many store fronts are empty, seemingly waiting for the mad rush back down town at some point in the future.

I'm reading this book "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" Jane Jacobs. (14.95 @ Borders) This is the greatest real estate book I've ever read and has many applications of re business.

This book tells why sidewalks work, playgrounds work, the effects of transportation (vehicle and pedestrian) why inner city projects continually fail, how to recognize the unslumming of an area, you name it, if it affects an urban area, this book covers it.

I'm telling you, if you read this book, you'll drive down the street and just look at the businesses, structures that are there and get an approximate land value and long term potential.

This is important as the retiring generation seeks out downtown to move to. The downtown could be a great big flop for your dollar if all the pieces do not fall into place. It may look nice but will lack the diversity that makes it work.

#27     May 13, 2008

8. Driggs Idaho? Is this the town right on the Wyoming border? I think I went there after a ski trip to Targhee. Pretty place, but it was tiny when I was there about a decade ago.

I could live there though.

#28     May 13, 2008
  9. I'm from wyoming stay out lol jst kidding. Driggs borders Jackson Hole, Teton Conty is the second wealthiest county in the nation. I nsane real estate there, there are good deals everywhere just be patient. its just like trading pick your spots

#29     May 13, 2008
  10. i will read that book ....downtown area redevelopment holds major promise ........RED HOOK BROOKLYN is a prime example
    a very very interesting play.... nyc

edgewater new jersey ...also long island city in nyc....totonto and bostons waterfront districts all redevelopment areas

washington hights and inwood in manhattan nyc have huge upside as does the south bronx sobo

wyoming ......what about..... lander...cody....satatoga
    anyone been to wheatland wyoming ...big land real cheep

check out the little town of elko nevada interesting ..quaint

any other ideas ...

#30     May 14, 2008