Insane CPU usage in TWS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Subdude, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Subdude

Subdude

Has anyone noticed the huge increase in CPU utilization by the few recent IB TWS builds? This thing literally kills a single core laptop that used to easily handle running it, so I can use it to cook eggs now. Dual core machines are doing much better, but the process never takes less than 40-50% CPU when the markets are open, and almost never less than 30%.

All this only started happening around 2-3 weeks back, on a pretty much unchanged config.

2. Which version of TWS are you using?
    I noticed problems with 802 but it was taken back again.
    801 works fine for me.
    Do you run their charts? This may cause the problem.
    I use QuoteTracker with IB feed and no IB charts.

3. Subdude - it sounds like you have something set up wrong on your computer.

I use an older computer (single core Sempron 3100+ and 1.5 GB RAM) running Windows XP SP2, Java 1.6.0_17, TWS Build 901.3. With QuoteTracker also running I'm using less than 5% CPU on average.

4. Subdude

Subdude

Never used QT, never had this problem before with their charts (though they do suck). Running build 901.8.

Interestingly, as I'm typing this, the usage has dropped to pretty much 0. Which leads me to believe it may have something to do with FX tickers I have, as there's no market between 17:00 and 17:15 ET. You guys could want to test this theory by creating a test FX ticker page, and throwing a bunch of pairs on it (I have about a dozen).

5. Use QT everyone else does. IB sucks up resources especially on charts.

6. Subdude

Subdude

That's not the point - it was working just fine with built-in charts until recently, now it hogs the processor. I wouldn't complain if it always did that.