Innovation is the only way out!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Apr 8, 2010.

1. From a quick glance at the menu, a 'bunless chicken sandwich' might sound like the ideal meal for slimmers.
    Kentucky Fried Chicken is appealing to its carb-conscious customers by launching its first bread-free burger.
    But dieters may wish to look a little more closely at the picture on the left before they place their order. The traditional bun has actually been replaced with two thick slabs of fried chicken.

Read more: http://www.dail*****.co.uk/news/wor...en-sandwich-bread-unveiled.html#ixzz0kWUhCMHz

[​IMG]

The KFC 'Double Down', which goes on sale in the U.S. on Monday, contains two pieces of bacon and two melted slices of cheese, slathered in mayonnaise and sandwiched between two slices of meat.
    Nutritionists are horrified by the launch of the fatty dish in a country where two-thirds of the population is overweight or obese.
    KFC insists the sandwich contains 540 calories - but it has been reported that it actually racks up a much higher figure of 1,228, or about half of a man's recommended daily intake

On top of this, fast food fans will consume 1,380 milligrams of salt and 32 grams of fat, including 10 grams of cholesterol-laden saturated fat, with each Double Down.

Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University's Rudd Centre for Food Policy and Obesity, described it as a 'salt bomb', adding: 'That's a better part of a day's sodium in one meal.'

The Double Down will cost £3.30, but will also be on offer as part of a £4.60 meal deal with potato wedges and a fizzy drink - taking the toll to 1,000 calories, 45 grams of fat and 2,120 milligrams of sodium.

The fast food chain has no plans to bring the Double Down to Britain at the moment, but KFC spokesman Rick Maynard said yesterday that there is 'no telling what the future may hold'.
    He added: 'It's such a meaty chicken, there's no room for a bun.'

2. olias

olias

I would totally eat that. That thing is badass looking

-but I would save it for my 'cheat day' which is once a week

3. aegis

aegis

Makes sense. Who needs a bun when the chicken is breaded anyway?

4. I'm totally buying one.

5. clacy

clacy

Your headline is hilarious....lol

It's so funny because it's a true statement, and the picture is pretty much what our economy is built on now.

6. Low carb diets increase your chances for a heart attack and seriously clog your arteries. When will people learn that if they want to be thin & healthy they have to exercise and eat the right foods. Not try to cheat with these fad diets.

7. olias

olias

I think you're referring to my post, but let me clarify. I believe in eating healthy and never bought into the 'low-carb' thing. I resist fads of all kinds, and especially fad diets. I eat healthy and work out, and I'm doing fine.

But, those who try to keep a low-cal diet all the time will eventually screw up their metabolism and it will slow down in response to not getting enough calories. The way to counter that is to have a 'cheat day' when you eat basically whatever you want, ...you go high calorie so that your metabolism doesn't slow down. That's the theory anyway and it makes sense to me. Anyone trying to lose weight should look into it.

8. ashatet

ashatet

Carbs are like petrol in car. You need it to do the daily tasks. People who eat less carbs are prone to be more irritable and miserable.

Humans need less protein that they really eat. All this protein really turns into fat if you just eat it and sit whole day.

Of the 2000 cals, 1200 should be Carbs, 400 Protein and 400 Fat.

9. 540 calories? What a load of horse shit. The cheese, mayo and bacon alone must be pushing 400 calories.

How do they get away with lies like this?

10. Bolts

Bolts

Meh... It's just chicken, cheese and bacon. I think making the chicken look like a bun gives it some kind of extra psychological wow factor. But it's still just two pieces of chicken. Now that bacon cheeseburger that has glazed donuts for buns, that's wild. I would try one. :cool:

#10     Apr 9, 2010