Inmate Count in U.S. Dwarfs Other Nations’

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Intelinvestor, Apr 24, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

Now imagine the global consequences.

No more Despotic drug Cartels corrupting and running Third World Countries.

Columbia, Peru, Bolivia, Mexico, a good part of the Carribean economy, no more Taliban (funded by opium trade). etc.

Amazing, huh?

#11     Apr 28, 2008
  2. Here's a new idea. How about securing our southern border and immediately deporting any illegal alien who is convicted of a crime? That would knock about 30% off our prison population.

I'm not an expert on othr countries criminal justice systems, but it seems to me there are three big differences. One, some societies, like Japan, are far more law abiding. Two, some, like much of europe, seem to be willing to tolerate far more property crime than we are. Three, some, like africa and south america, have less success at catching and convicting criminals.

#12     Apr 28, 2008
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Judging by the level of drug related activity in this small town I'm in, I'd say America could double their prison population before the criminals were pretty well absorbed up. We're running an annualized 50 murders per 100,000 population, worse than DC.

This town got together with the police and volunteers a few years ago and harassed the criminals out and put a lot of them in jails. The rude driving and loud music went away and you felt a lot better about being alive. I say we haven't begun to put them away...

The much better thing to do, and probably this is the reason there are far less criminals in jail in other countries, is to have cruel and public punishments like the canings and hangings the rest of the world has. The American punishment system sends the message that crime is actually something that a person can take up as a lifestyle.......... and about 15% of the population so far, does that to a lesser or greater extent.....

#13     Apr 28, 2008
  4. Sounds good to me. The 30% figure sounds made up. We'd probably have to pay Mexico to take the prisoners but it would still save thousands of dollars a year per inmate. And if they had to serve time in a Mexican jail instead of an American jail it might defer some crime and get the bad ones out of here too.

#14     Apr 28, 2008
  5. Here's another thought:

Amendment 28 – The right of the taxpayer to have accountability for his money and the right of the legal resident to be free from harm; individuals dwelling illegally in the United States shall not be entitled to any tax payer funded government service or entitlement, nor shall they be afforded protection under the fourth amendment.

#15     Apr 28, 2008
  6. Bingo.

#16     Apr 28, 2008
  7. That would be about the dumbest thing we could do. Guess what would be next? We suspend the 4th amendment for people suspected of helping illegal aliens, then for people who might of hired them, then for restaurants who served them then next would be your 4th amendment rights that would be suspended. Would you really trust the government to pick and chose who has protection under the constitution? I wouldn't. No thanks I vote for a more reasoned approach to this problem.

#17     Apr 28, 2008
  8. Flame on!

Awe gee. Sorry for being so intolerant. But the last time I looked, illegal meant unlawful, illegal, against the law, etc. OK so.... they broke the law by entering our country illegally. Now, let's take it to the next step. They broke the law, they entered the country willingly and illegally. 28th Amendment is in force. They made a choice. Do you know what the 4th amendment says?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Hmmmm, they already broke the law. They're here illegally. Many are in our prisons (my tax dollars supporting them). Well, if they're already here illegally, could they be transporting illegal substances too? How about drugs? How about illegal weapons. Or what about a little thing called............ a bomb? So what's so wrong about taking a defensive posture? Mohammed Atta and his other henchmen were illegal aliens. Oh! Right! Like you said...

"We suspend the 4th amendment for people suspected of helping illegal aliens" In this case it's called probable cause. Unfortunately, you didn't define helping. Is that helping as in assisting with health matters (at the helper's own cost), or providing food (at the helpers own cost)? Or does that mean giving aid and comfort without consideration to their repatriation to their own country?

Oh BTW, this isn't a suspension of anyone's 4th amendment rights. It doesn't say anything about suspending those rights. It simply states if they are an illegal resident, they just don't enjoy the protection under that right. The choice is theirs. Come here illegally if you choose to, but don't call the ACLU if you can't get on the public dole, and if a cop should happen to pull you over, ascertain that you're not a legal resident and escore you to the local INS office.

Flame off!

#18     Apr 29, 2008
  9. maxpi

maxpi

What a joke you are. You offer the invalid "slippery slope" argument and ask for a more reasoned approach!!

#19     Apr 29, 2008
  10. LOL sorry man didn't mean to rile your feathers. I though you were bullshitting about the "28 amendment". Yes I've read the 4th amendment. The problem with your thinking and idea, which if not dumb is poorly though out, is under your idea I'm guessing it would be the cops deciding who is or isn't here legally not the court, hence a police state. There would be no way of knowing legally without going to court and due process if the people here illegally are in fact illegal. Under your idea I'm guessing the police would use the evidence they collected from the search to determine if the people are in fact illegal. Nothing personal against you at all, it's just a bad idea. No reason for anyone to get upset about talking about your idea it's never going to happen.

4th amendment- The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

#20     Apr 29, 2008