ING offering 2 year CD @ 4%

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trend Fader, Jul 17, 2005.

1. maybe you missed the point here. Guys are talking risk free rate of return. Although CD's and such dont really fall into that category per se. But some short term treasuries, etc, etc...

(Granted nothing is 100% risk free, but as close as one can get to that)

#21     Jul 17, 2005
  2. babe714

babe714

#22     Jul 17, 2005
  3. jmccain

jmccain

Like I said, the 'risk-free' rate of return is a losing proposition over the long term due to taxes and inflation.

#23     Jul 17, 2005
  4. Which has given you a better return over the period 2000-2005? A five-year
    CD or shares of SPY, DIA & QQQ?

#24     Jul 17, 2005
  5. I agree. Once the CD's go over 5% on a 1-2 year... this will be the end of hedge fund bubble and the stock market will more than likely severely underperform with flat to negative growth.

You will get a major asset allocation.. and the small S&L's will clean up.

There are so many people that still got nailed by the stock market.. and love the idea of getting FDIC guaranteed money at a rate near 5%+ is very attractive.

I think thats where the smart money will go.. to FDIC insured safe haven. I keep remembering the times when my MOM tells me how she was getting %17 on her savings account with a free toaster... lol

THe hedge fund bubble was mainly created by the demand of investors to obtain 5-10% practically "guaranteed" rates. These funds werent mainly designed to make the most % possible.. because we know that this would entail greater risk. Now that the spreads have narrowed.. and the US rates will continue to rise.. the hedge fund's purpose will dwindle.

#25     Jul 18, 2005
  6. #26     Jul 18, 2005
  7. These are all good posts.

The guy discussing the stock market as an alternative investment is missing the point here. I think those of us investing in CD's are looking for stable income. As to a 9% long-term rate of return in stocks, I don't have the "long-term" left in my life. Besides, I made my profits trading in the market.

#27     Jul 18, 2005
  8. Remiraz

Remiraz

$1mil @ 5% p.a. is like $4200 a month. Enough for retirement!

Anyway are CD the best rates already? 4-5% p.a. for long term CDs and 3+% for short term ones? What about termed/fixed deposits etc?

These are figures for the USA right? Are there any better countries? I heard Australia has like 5% p.a. rates for 7 mth termed deposits.

#28     Jul 18, 2005
  9. Australia does not have the equivalent of FDIC, so is it worth the risk for an extra 1%?

#29     Jul 18, 2005
  10. jmccain

jmccain

Oh yeah, sorry I wasn't aware that this was a senior investment group.

People with 1M$+ can afford professionals to take care of their money.

If the stock market returns 9% historically, they would not leave 40K/year on the table (9%-5%) for the sake of some 'safety'.

Even more now that we have historically low transaction costs and a wider investment choice than ever.

And you can bet your ass that they didn't make 1M$ investing in CDs

#30     Jul 18, 2005