Informal ranking of Chicago prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by infiniwang, Aug 2, 2009.

1. What edge? Thinking that a company who intreviewed 100s of applicants would make such a stupid error?

#11     Aug 5, 2009
  2. #12     Aug 5, 2009
  3. jjchoi

jjchoi

Here's my ranking of prop trading firms. most of them are in chicago.

1. GETCO
    2. Jane Street (they're in NYC)
    3. DRW
    4. SIG (offices in multiple cities)
    5. Jump
    6. IMC
    7. Optiver
    8. Transmarket
    9. Chicago Trading Company
    10. Sun
    11. Ronin
    12. Spot

#13     Jun 22, 2010
  4. Only 15 posts since 2005?

I'm not in the HFT space but I know to stay out of GETCO's way. I'd move Sun above Jane St. and add New Edge, Bump IMC up even with Sun & New Edge and I really have no idea where Chicago is headed now that MOC is dead and TAS is dying.

Any insight?

#14     Jun 22, 2010
  5. jjchoi

jjchoi

Yes, GETCO is an amazing shop. They're dominating HFT of equities. Compensation is ridiculous, and very few people ever leave the firm. They're super secretive for obvious reasons. In terms of difficulty of getting a job there, I would say it's one of the toughest places to get into, alongside citadel, de shaw, rentech, and a few other quant funds.

Sun made some notable hires, including one of the main quants from AQR Capital. But their performance hasn't been that great. Jane street is definitely above them.

#15     Jun 22, 2010
  6. rosy2

rosy2

newedge is a brokerage firm (in refcos old building). they dont trade.

obviously you dont know one of those firms at all

#16     Jun 23, 2010
  7. Really? I'm 100% certain that Newedge is an AP and MM in certain levered ETFs - but then again so is Timber Hill and they don't do much trading outside of the Short Desk for IB.

Where is EWT on that list?

#17     Jun 24, 2010
  8. bone

bone

NewEdge clears in the United States (Soc Gen and CA conglomerate/transformation).

I clientele clearing them, primarily for LME. $3M minimum account size.

#18     Jun 24, 2010
  9. bone

bone

Clarification, I have clientele clearing NewEdge - primarily for direct ECN access to LME.

#19     Jun 24, 2010
  10. bone

bone

Update on the Chicago Business Model: empty arcades, no more draw salaries, nobody left who still fades one sigma moves, continue to stack the order book for implied spread markets in the interest rate markets right at the market open - offer 1,000 and get 35 on pro-rata order matching.

#20     Jun 24, 2010