Info: Pattern Day Trading rule does not apply to cash accounts!

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by earth_imperator, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Just trade micros if you have $25K and have proved yourself in paper trading.

#21     Jul 14, 2022
  2. mikeriley

mikeriley

I think you mean IF they actually take the time to LEARN from
    an actual formal trading or mentorship program. Having a
    cash account is just a quick means to lose money as
    a margin account.

90% of new traders, will blow 90% of their trading capital
    within 90 days because they "think" they can learn on their
    own how to become consistently profitable.

#22     Jul 14, 2022
  3. You can use a Long Put option instead. Options have an expiry date until which the option is valid, unlike stocks.

Long Call option is when going long, much like buying a stock.
    Long Put option is when you think the underlying stock will fall, much like stock shorting.

These Call and Put options can also be shorted, then their meaning "reverses" (or "inverts").

#23     Jul 14, 2022
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

'Which reduces your money making potential by exactly 50 % "<-------- I was referring to this statement.

On another note you can always short the market buy going long SH or PSQ.

#24     Jul 14, 2022
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

This is correct. After the dot com disaster.

#25     Jul 14, 2022
  6. #26     Jul 14, 2022
  7. Overnight

Overnight

That's actually what you CAN do, because futures are inherently a leveraged with built-in margin. You don't get a "margin" account in futures because you already abide by margin requirements with your cash.

I believe there are more exotic and complicated account setups for futures accounts at full-service brokers, such as using Treasuries as collateral, but I am not sure on those bits.

#27     Jul 14, 2022
  8. schizo

schizo

Those with cash accounts are usually less sophisticated and undercapitalized, so the Fed led us to believe when it was implemented in 2000 (I can't recall the exact date) in the midst of market meltdown due to dot.com burst.

But the real reason for the PDT, along with short sale restriction and others like circuit breakers, is to stop short sellers from pummeling the market. That's all they are.

#28     Jul 14, 2022
  9. tomkat22

tomkat22

Trying to short stocks in a cash account sounds like a monkey trying to fuck a football.

#29     Jul 14, 2022
  10. schizo

schizo

I'm pretty certain you need to have a margin account to trade futures. With options, you can only buy covered (??) calls or puts if you have a cash account. You just can't sell.

#30     Jul 14, 2022