Info: Pattern Day Trading rule does not apply to cash accounts!

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by earth_imperator, Jul 14, 2022.

1. tomkat22

tomkat22

Okay I'm all ears. How does one go about shorting a stock in a cash account? Always looking to learn something new. Most are extremely time sensitive and I'm not sure puts would address that fact,although I admit I dont trade options.

#11     Jul 14, 2022
  2. This is awesome news for the little guy.
    No barriers exists....to grow a $2,000 account into a million in under a year with options trading.

Instead of eating McDonald's chicken everyday for lunch....normal people will be able to afford a ribeye or filet mignon steak.
    Some will even probably generate six figure days.

#12     Jul 14, 2022
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

You are correct. Anybody knows the reason why? Why limit one type but not the other?

#13     Jul 14, 2022
  4. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

I think new traders will benefit from learning using a cash account... because it slows things down, and avoids leverage.

#14     Jul 14, 2022
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Could it be so brokerage house risk is minimized or entirely eliminated?

Oh wait... PDT provides protection to the investor. Yup.
    Brokerage house risk must be the wrong answer. :banghead:

#15     Jul 14, 2022
    VPhantom and earth_imperator like this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Obviously you don't trade, just snipe at Bitcoin hodlers.

#16     Jul 14, 2022
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

[cough] options [cough]

That is why I asked my previous question. In a cash account you san still trade away your money in a few days using options, so that doesn't really slow down anything...

#17     Jul 14, 2022
    KCalhoun likes this.
  8. I think b/c with a margin acct it's the money of the brokerage firm, but with a cash acct it's the own money of the trader.

#18     Jul 14, 2022
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

That is true, but as long as the brokerage has good risk control and don't let the customer go negative, why does it matter? After all they make more money if you trade more, so limiting your trades is counter productive to their profits. Also a bad trade can screw up all the account, it doesn't have to be daytrade.

I thought originally the PTD rule was made for protecting customers from their own stupidity and that they wouldn't try to daytrade with small account. RobinHood throw that idea out of the window.

#19     Jul 14, 2022
    earth_imperator likes this.
  10. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

1) You seem to have forgotten that PDT minimum account equity of 25,000 is REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES regardless of trade style... daytrade, swing, investment, doesn't matter when you are flagged for PDT.

2) PDT was implemented in 2001.
    Robinhood started in 2015.

#20     Jul 14, 2022
    VPhantom likes this.