INFLUENCE GAME: Leaks show group's climate efforts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by futurecurrents, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Yup. Doing something about carbon pollution is bad for business, especially the fossil-fuel business. Hence the appearance of this article in the Wall St Journal.

#21     Feb 18, 2012
  2. 4 Aug 11 - Writing in the journal Science, Danish researchers say that an imminent tipping point in the disappearance of Arctic sea ice is unlikely.

Sea ice comes and goes without leaving a record, so our knowledge of its historic variations and extent has been severely limited.

But researchers at the Danish National Research Foundation for Geogenetics at the Natural History Museum of Denmark (University of Copenhagen) have developed an ingenious method for retracing those ancient variations.

The researchers concluded that for about 3,000 years, during a period called the Holocene Climate Optimum, there was more open water and far less ice than today - probably less than 50% of the minimum Arctic sea ice recorded in 2007.

http://www.iceagenow.com/Surprise-Arctic_tipping_point_not_even_close.htm

#22     Feb 18, 2012
  3. Eight

Eight

I hate alarmist talk like that.. and if you hadn't been all alarmed about nuclear energy we would have been able to get the best and the brightest from industry and government together and avoided the whole co2 thingy, but alarmists turned it into a major political hassle and we got the unsafe shit we now have... I hate people that lower my quality of life.

how big are these huge amounts of co2 compared to what mother earth herself belches out... a fraction of a percent per year maybe?

You can take all your alarmist talk and shove it so far sideways it makes your head swim...

People seeking political power can capitalize on any emergency even if they have to make one up. What's the upshot of GW alarmist bullshit other than a UN tax and some carbon fee money that enriches none other than Al Gore!!

I'm really starting to see this "Public Sector money is pure and private money is evil" undercurrent to a lot of the environut talk.. it's more of a religion than having to do with anything scientific really..

#23     Feb 18, 2012

4. CO2 has increased by around 35% over the last 150 years, almost all due to combustion of fossil fuels. That's not alarmism, it's a provable fact. I'm sorry the facts make you so upset.

BTW I'm all for more nuke plants so don't try to typecast me.

The Al Gore stuff is infantile as is this idea that there is some vast conspiracy involving all the world's scientists and the liberals and the hugely powerful green energy industry.

#24     Feb 18, 2012
  5. First reaction, so what.

Second reaction after looking at the article. Really? A website titled iceagenow? Gimme a break. It might as well say next to it "Brought to you by Exxon" A great example of the propaganda referred to in the article in the op.

#25     Feb 18, 2012
  6. jem

jem

what does this mean? CO2 increased where?... What caused it?
    You understand that the earth off gases CO2.
    You understand that the data shows warming precedes CO2 buildup?

#26     Feb 18, 2012

7. How many times do we have to do this?

Worldwide CO2 levels in the atmosphere have gone up 35%. We know it's from the burning fossil fuel in two ways. One is that CO2 from fossil fuel use has a certain isotope signature. We can see this isotope in the atmospheric CO2 levels. Another, very basic one is that we know how much fossil fuel we have burned and therefor how much CO2 made. Every year man puts around 40 billion tons of CO2 into the air.

Yes in the past, orbital variations caused temps, then CO2 to increase. But that does not explain the current situation. The increased CO2 is mostly due to man's burning stuff.

And again, the experts have looked at all this. To think we can come up with something they've overlooked is quite arrogant.

#27     Feb 18, 2012
  8. Read the article. Their findings were published in the journal Science.

#28     Feb 18, 2012
  9. Eight

Eight

crowdsourcing for answers among experts that all read off the same page of the same book is stupid...

I know what these "experts" are like, they control the venue for the debate, they refuse to admit evidence that contradicts their foregone world view and opinions and that way they are ALWAYS RIGHT!! Aren't they cute!!

This very thread frames the debate as being "if it comes from private money then it has to be dirty and wrong".. that means that you consider publicly funded things to not be corrupt.. so Capitalism is bad, Marxism is good!! Go f^&k yourself, the public sector is far more corrupt and closed minded for me to even be bothered with their blather and ever-increasing taxes and control...

Why Leftists aren't circumcised: there is no end to the pricks!

#29     Feb 18, 2012
  10. Wow, you're fucked up aren't you?

#30     Feb 18, 2012