"Inflation Will Run Amok", DiMartino Booth Says "Gold Is The Ultimate Hiding Place"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Altavest_Erik, Aug 30, 2018.

1. piezoe

piezoe

"predictions are hard, especially about the future" -- Yogi Berra

#11     Sep 1, 2018
  2. Arnie

Arnie

That Wiedemer guy was certainly consistent LOL

#12     Sep 12, 2018
  3. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Gold died quite a while back due to some things . Some things have changed some, but the gold looks about the same still. No problem, your welcome.

#13     Sep 12, 2018
  4. Jreality

Jreality

Making bearish predictions is a business, and if she just said something simple like: “ dollar cost average into low cost total market index funds and put a percentage of your portfolio into bonds, (based on your age), rebalance quarterly, allocate a very small percentage (5%) into gold just in case” then she wouldn’t be able to sell books and subscriptions to the doom and gloomer crowd. Consciously or subconsciously she is catering to her audience. Anyone else agree with me?

#14     Sep 15, 2018
  5. I get what you're saying, but there is fundamental truth in the US fiat dollar one day becoming worthless. When this happens, gold will sky rocket, but so will the cost of everything you'd want to buy, so as gold has done for the last 3,000 years, it will be a store of wealth, not a maker of it. Stocks will serve the same purpose though. If the dollar devalues quickly and significantly, then the cost of butter will rise, the cost of underwear will rise, the cost of gold will rise, and stocks will rise.

#15     Sep 15, 2018
  6. Sig

Sig

No, there really isn't. It's an opinion you hold, most of those with any economics background don't. I don't think the words "fundamental truth" mean what you think they do!

#16     Sep 15, 2018
  7. themickey

themickey

Gold is an old time relic, story books/bible raved on about it, so the masses think it has worth.
    Gold is no better a store of worth than diamonds or opals or any other precious jewelry or antiques.
    Therefore price goes up or down according to the economy. I can't see the reason for the alure of gold other than a type of romantic fantasy.
    One needs to chase what is in vogue, like once upon a time; tulip bulbs, nickel, diamonds, Uranium, iron ore, realestate, telecom companies. We've seen the FAANG type stocks, maybe next it will be lithium or copper with the advent of more electric vehicles coming into production.
    But gold, it will continue to offer glimmers of false hope as some type of safety net.
    Can you imagine in a market meltdown people trading gold? Food on your plate is more important and a roof over your head.

#17     Sep 15, 2018
  8. Fiat currencies ending up worthless is not an opinion, it's a fact. The US being over 20 trillion in debt, and falling deeper each and every year, is also a fact. The dollar will end up worth less than toilet paper, it's just a matter of when.

#18     Sep 16, 2018
  9. IAlwaysWin

IAlwaysWin

I'd like to see you eat a bar of gold and then say that.

#19     Sep 16, 2018
  10. Sig

Sig

Yeah, again I think a quick trip to dictionary.com might help you out. Specifically I'd check on the word "fact" and perhaps try adding the word "opinion" to your lexicon.

BTW, also a rookie mistake to try to make your point with absolute debt numbers, which are more or less meaningless. Economists actually look at things like the ratio of debt to GDP if taking a top level view of national level debt, which only makes sense. I had $10,000 in credit card debt when I was in my early 20s which was huge for me at the time, something I worried about and took years to pay off. I now routinely charge $10,000 in a month on my credit card and pay it off every month. And have 7 figures in mortgages, which I'm also completely unconcerned about. Talking about debt without talking about income, as you see, is pretty pointless. You seem interested in economics, I'd highly recommend you take a formal course or two. There are excellent MOOCs that are taught by some of the best and brightest in the world that are free. You may come away still concerned about U.S. debt levels and the status of the U.S. dollar, but you'll both understand the basis for that concern and be able to articulate it. It will also make you a better trader and more effective in life in general if you realize that our understanding of the vast majority of things happening in the future are a prediction with an error bar, not a fact.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    #20     Sep 17, 2018