Inflation in U.S. Highest Since 1981; Fed Not Expected to Raise Rates

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Aug 4, 2008.

1. vv111y

vv111y

And what does the outcome look like?
    Will it actually look all rosy?

#11     Aug 4, 2008
  2. Some attendance figures from yesterdays MLB games.

St. Louis: 44k
    Last place Seattle:33k
    Dodgers:Just short of 53k
    Yank's:54k
    Houston:38k
    Minnesota:39k
    Tampa:33k
    Cubbies:41k (every game)
    Atlanta 32k
    Boston:37k
    San Diego:33k
    Washington:33k

Not exactly Great Depression type crowds.

#12     Aug 4, 2008
  3. It'll be the same outcome as the past 40 years. Wages and cash will under perform prices and assets (LT) will hold some semblance to global parity.

Think 1970's U.S. with an emerging South American type demographic.

#13     Aug 4, 2008
  4. No, not the election. They've been fudging numbers for quite some time. President doesn't control these numbers anyway.

#14     Aug 4, 2008
  5. S2007S

S2007S

I didnt know we can determine what state our economy is in by looking at the crowd attendance at MLB ballparks.

HMMMMM.

I guess were not in a recession at the moment, hmmmmm.

Nah just kidding, were in a major recession at the moment, dont let those crowds at the ballparks fool you.

#15     Aug 4, 2008
  6. I suggest YOU not be fooled. Look at movie reciepts this summer also.

Yea there's some people hurting. There's also millions of people with SHITLOADS of money. For every construction guy laid off there's a nurse making 1500 a week.....

#16     Aug 4, 2008
  7. jjf

jjf

Golly, and here I am thinking that the White House influence reaches into all sorts of places, whether it belongs there or not.

Or have I got it wrong

jjf

#17     Aug 4, 2008
  8. Here is what the Fed will say 08-05-2008

Economy is weak, but holding up well. We expect inflation to moderate. Note they have been calling for inflation to pull back for close to a year now.

Credit conditions are improving as spreads return top more normal levels. How the market reacts is anyone guess.

All I know is mortgage rates are moving higher since they slashed the FF rate to 2.00%. Savings rates have fallen to next to nothing, food and energy have soared. So far all in all it has done noting but make things worse for 75% of the population.

GREAT JOB FED!

#18     Aug 4, 2008
  9. jjf

jjf

All I know is that if the Gov/Fed want to reduce inflation figures quickly they need to multiply last months inflation number by say 0.66% and then claim that inflation has been capped and under control.

Given that they are all living at the tax payers expense, from their point of view, inflation is under control.

jjf

#19     Aug 4, 2008
  10. The entire f$$king world is devaluing their currencies. Interest should be higher, but FCBs keep recycling savings back into treasuries. This is producing high inflation around the world.

I dont understand why the chinese, indians, etc arnt taking the issue more seriously and letting their currencies appreciate and letting interest rise in the US rise on the long end of the curve.

Maybe a commodities have a 6 month break, but the inflation genie is far from contained or over.

#20     Aug 4, 2008