Inflation, 2018

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dealmaker, Oct 15, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

""

Clubber Lang likes this.
  2. The ultimate hidden tax .. a tax on savings...a subsidizing of the borrower at the expense of the fixed income earner.. inflation is theft

ElectricSavant and dealmaker like this.
  3. Down go the Bonds in the Us in 2019...

4. piezoe

piezoe

You wouldn't want zero inflation of course. Inflation below 3 % is fine indefinitely. But how comparable are the figures among different countries. I am not seeing any estimates of error given with the figures. I accept that 200000 % is greater than 2.8 % but is 3.2 % statistically any greater than 2.8 %? Their is no guarantee, not even an international agreement, so far as I know, that the methods of computing inflation in various countries are strictly comparable so how much difference can be attributed to just variability of computing methods plus reliability of the data. I would guess this is as much as perhaps a few tenths of percent , a few hundred basis points. Perhaps there are footnotes to explain what has been done to insure that these numbers are comparable across national boundaries. This is especially important considering there are many different accepted measures for inflation within countries.

Don't accelerate payment on principle of your very low interest long term debt. Unless we have a recession, inflation will rise in 2019-20. The Fed will be able to tame it some but they'll be fighting the first glimpse of the effects of monstrous, Trump, full-employment deficits that pour money into the economy as though some one upended a money cauldron. The wealthy will invest in assets that appreciate with inflation, but what will the poor do? --other than continue to vote for Trump, that is.

Real estate should do well, I would think.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    ElectricSavant likes this.
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Indeed, those that shorted bonds in 2008 and have been patiently waiting a decade for them to go down are going to finely get to say, "see, I told you so."

6. Why would you assume to know what I want.. and what is most holistic is no fed intervention. So no inflationary monetary policy.... Everyone just accepts the feds intervention as being required and have been educated to believe it's "good" and required for market stabikist.. that's a joke...

7. piezoe

piezoe

Because I assumed you are smart. But I erred. Sorry.

8. 2rosy

2rosy

looks like this shows depreciating currencies. for inflation you only need to normalize on one currency (or commodity); US$ or gold or manure

cdcaveman likes this.
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Thank you. That makes good sense! That would definitely be the best way to make the comparison across national boundaries, even though the results wouldn't necessarily accurately reflect the price inflation consumers within a country experienced.

10. Ya I'm stupid for thinking that inflationary monetary policy is "good".. I think you have said all you have needed to...

#10     Oct 16, 2018