inexpensive, cool trading desks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hank rollins, May 28, 2005.

1. I'd rather pay double for my chair, I don't think my monitors would be as picky :)

#21     May 29, 2005
  2. cmk

cmk

I got a council craftsman desk that weights about 50,000,000 pounds. Had it for about 10 years.

Certainly not cheap (might have paid about $15k for it) but it sure is nice. Huge amount of desk space. My Aeron does not match very well but it is comfy.

#22     May 29, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

Jia,

If it weren't for the height adjustment feature, I would not have gotten it.

:cool: nitro :cool:

#23     May 29, 2005

4. lol, easy!

:D

#24     May 29, 2005
  5. Chagi

Chagi

I agree with this one completely, I'm a big fan of Ikea, the quality of the majority of the stuff that they sell tends to be far better than what the same prices will get you at a department store.

I've had an oversized Ikea desk for about 5 years now, love it, and it only cost me around $150 or so CND.

#25     May 29, 2005
  6. i like the desk in the TD waterhouse ad in SFO, etc this month. any clue where its from?

jay gould, financier

#26     May 29, 2005
  7. I am willing to bet that a trader who is making money is more likely to invest in top quality equipment. If for no other reason than to write it off on your taxes. Converesely, most short stacked newby traders would be unable to afford that expensive desk. That's the way I game it.

Speaking of desks, I am hoping to complete a custom build out in my office at home. Floor to ceiling book shelfs, with lower cabinets for storage, inset lighting, accent lighting, plenty of desk area, pc storage inside the cabinets with built in cooling system, two cabinets of lateral file storage, (I still enjoy hard copies, and staring at computers all day is not good for your eyes), custom monitor racks. Should be fun to build and enjoyable to sit at. I am hoping for a slow summer so that I may take some time and get this project done.

Good trading to all!

Mike

#27     May 29, 2005
  8. I bet they have no, if not a negative, correlation. Most people I hear of that go out and blow a large sum of cash on equipment are beginners who give up within a year. Besides, a desk isn't equipment in my mind; it's simply a place to put your equipment. It's furniture that few people see in most cases. Very few people ever see my desk (which is good because it is generally covered by about two inches of paper).

If you're gonna blow 3k, you better blow it on something that will help your profitability. Computers, chairs, screens, etc do this, not desks (this assumes you have enough space; 3k worth of steel and glass likely doesn't provide more space than a buffet table).

For the record, I hope to build my desk if I get time over the summer. Unfortunately, I have to make a trek south to the family business, as I don't exactly have ready access to bulk steel, glass, and a welder in the city. My plan is a corner desk that is about 4 ft x 2 ft on each side. I would also like to fabricate a monitor stand to match while I'm at it. Thing is it will not be cheap to buy the materials, and custom-cut tempered glass is not cheap either. Hopefully I can get it done for under $300.

Plus, I dont' know how I'm gonna stuff it in the car, with my wife and daughters, to get it back home.........

#28     May 30, 2005

9. Sounds nice. Don't forget to post pics when you are done.

#29     May 30, 2005