inexpensive, cool trading desks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hank rollins, May 28, 2005.

1. these desks are cool but quite expensive( way too $ for me).... but will fit your needs 100% http://www.biomorph.com

thanks everyone for the suggestions. hitting ikea tomorrow.

:)

#11     May 28, 2005
  2. I have one of these. I think the door was $40 and then I bought two filing cabinets -- one for each side. So all in, it was probably $140 - $240. Quite solid. I'm thinking about custom making my own desk though....

#12     May 29, 2005
  3. LaSalle

LaSalle

Yeah, my office is comprised of three "buffett" tables bought at Kohls for $20 a piece. That's 54 square feet of space at just over $1 per foot.

Glass? Maple? =sales... not trading.

#13     May 29, 2005
  4. Here's one simple, relatively inexpensive way to go if appearance is not as important as function:

A Baker's Rack available at Sam's Club, Costco, Ikea, restaurant supply, etc.
    http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_...&oidPath=0:-23541:-42505:-42508:-42684:729410
    figure around $80 and 100 lbs.
    about 48"Wx78"Hx18"D
    chromed-steel (or, find flat black for less $)
    6 very strong and highly adjustable racks

I got mine 3 years ago at Sam's on Clearance for $53 because it was the last 5-racker.
    total parts weight is 83 lbs
    easy to assemble with the 4 corner poles notched in 1" increments for your own shelf height specs
    each heavy gauge (1/8" & 1/4") wire rack is made to hold 600 lbs!
    3" locking wheels provided (offers nice versatility)
    made in the L.A. area

The perfect set-up for sitting, standing, or even slow-cycling or treadmill-walking (at times, unless you're a Lance Armstrong).

I use my set-up seated at a 48"Wx30"D Lifetime-brand polyethylene top folding table for keyboard, laptop, etc., - lightweight but sufficiently strong;
    the lowest baker's rack (on bottom notch above the wheels and 7" above the floor) holds a CPU tower, cable router, UPSes, and computer amp;
    the next rack is 17" higher, which puts it 5" below the top of the table, allowing three 17" CRT monitors to be viewed at a slightly downward angle (and allows the rack above-monitors to be viewed at more of an eye-level);
    the rack immediately above supports a 19" CRT (50 lbs), and a 13' TV/VCR, and so on...

Of course, any number of combinations can be utilized, including purchasing a swing-arm-type TV stand(s) to be mounted on either of the front support poles, and/or TVs on an/the upper rack and tilted downward, etc.

Also, one can buy a narrower 48"Wx24"D table, and, if standing, can figure a way to raise the table by, say, sliding bottom-capped 2" diameter rigid PVC pipe over the 1 1/2" diameter table legs up to the first cross-support (mine is 16" above the floor) plus the amount of the additional height desired... For extra stability, the rear table legs can be easily affixed to the open-wired rack fronts to which they abut.

So, there's one idea; take it a few steps farther and figure a better way for yourself! Good luck.

#14     May 29, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

I have used this one for several years now:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*10392&cattype=sub

With the two sides extension (not pictured.) Easily fits five 19" monitors in a parabolic accross the desk, and if you have either monitor mounting legs or some other form of support, you can mount five more so that they are overhang on top of the monitors on the bottom.

nitro

#15     May 29, 2005
  6. Jeez Hank youre blowing my image of you to hell. I had you pegged as a big spender. You could always use cinder blocks and plywood.:D

#16     May 29, 2005

7. LOL

Nitro exactly the same as mine.

I love the fact that I can adjust the hieght too.

#17     May 29, 2005

8. I know. 1-3k for a desk where you will be spending so much of your time is too expensive? Maybe we should start a new thread to compare traders desks to their P/L. I wonder what the correlation will be?

#18     May 29, 2005
  9. None

#19     May 29, 2005
  10. #20     May 29, 2005