indicator showcase

Discussion in 'Trading' started by darkhorse, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Clever site Candle! The hair may be a better indicator of market action, but I prefer the infinite possibilities of da lips, da lips.... :D

#31     Jul 10, 2002
  2. lundy

lundy

thanks for posting that stuff about watching sectors and using other stocks as indicators. I didn't know people did that, and it sounds like a very useful indicator.

#32     Jul 10, 2002
  3. WarDT, maybe if you translated that page into eng., maybe you'd get more hits:p

#33     Jul 10, 2002
  4. BTW returns on DAX30 seem to be so much higher than on NAS100. Is that due to higher DAX volatility and/or trendiness?

#34     Jul 10, 2002
  5. mike s

mike s

Indicators (stos, macd etc.) have been in and out of favor for me. I used them for a while then I didn't use them for a while. Then one of 'em creeped back onto my screen and before I knew it there were several squiggling all over the place.
    I've recently cleaned house again and I'm liking it better this way.

I'm back to using basic support/resistance, a couple of sma's, trendlines and patterns now.

I don't like overbought/sold indicators much any more because I have a tendency to miss the strong trending moves if I use them.

#35     Jul 10, 2002
  6. DT-waw

DT-waw

sunnyskies: I think both. Testing period is too short. I wish to test on 3 years data, but i don't have them.

#36     Jul 11, 2002
  7. ddefina

ddefina

Zacks has done a lot of research on earnings announcements/analyst upgrades and subsequent price changes.

http://my.zacks.com/tour/zrank.pdf

#37     Jul 11, 2002
  8. nylord1

nylord1

can someone explain the difference btwn bb bands and keltner channels?

sorry if i made a spelling error.

#38     Jul 11, 2002
  9. The best indicator for the scalper............

LVII and knowing who the contra is on all my trades! If I'm bidding next to GSCO and he taps my bid...he's not a buyer! AHHH.....more transparency.

I used to love the old SNET, but too bad it's not used as much anymore.

#39     Jul 11, 2002
  10. T/A_Bo

T/A_Bo

>can someone explain the difference btwn bb bands and keltner channels?

The Keltner channels are derived from the avg range of the bars on your chart. This avg range is then calc-ed to provide a volitility projection above and below the current price, creating an avg movement "channel".

Bollinger bands are calculated based on a standard deviation off of a moving average. Since the MA is calculated from one data point in each bar, (open, close, etc..) this does not take into account the intrabar volitility.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck and Good Trading,

-Bo Yoder

#40     Jul 11, 2002