Indicator on spread

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by just21, Aug 2, 2016.

1. just21

just21

What packages let you put an indicator, eg a moving average, on a spread? Does not seem possibe in MultiCharts.

Edit: NinjaTrader has a script to do a spread which an indicator can be applied to.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. bone

bone

CQG, eSignal, for sure. And likely several others.

3. Handle123

Handle123

I had trouble with Ninja locking up doing spreads and sometimes it would do them and give weird readings on the indictors I had made, another reason developed my own. CQG does well. Huge money in Commodity spreads, when you figure out how to trade them, that's the catch.

4. bone

bone

I've had clients have trouble with Ninja and spread expressions as well, which was pretty disappointing to them because they really liked the Ninja platform.

You will need to be able to construct and chart inter commodity spreads, and intra commodity spreads. Also, your charting platform should definitely be able to chart all the exchange supported implied spreads, of which there are literally thousands.

5. CTS T4

6. just21

just21

Which do you use? What indicators are useful on spread charts?

thx

7. just21

just21

Here is a basic guideline of how to Import NinjaScripts.

To import NinjaScripts you will need the original .zip file.

To Import

1. Download the NinjaScripts to your desktop, keep them in the compressed .zip file.

2. From the Control Center window select the menu File> Utilities> Import NinjaScript

3. Select the downloaded .zip file

4. NinjaTrader will then confirm if the import has been successful.
    Critical - Specifically for some NinjaScripts, it will prompt that you are running newer versions of @SMA, @EMA, etc. and ask if you want to replace, press 'No'

With this indicator imported, you'll then want to use the indicator as the moving average's input series.

[​IMG]
    For more information about working with indicators, please take a look at this help guide link: https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt7/?working_with_indicators.htm

Please, let us know if we may be of further assistance.

8. bone

bone

If you would like the least expensive route that has some level of robust capability, you might look at eSignal with delayed US and European futures data. Should cost you about $100 per month and of course it goes month-to-month. Ask for a free trial. CQG is considerably better than eSignal - but likewise it is considerably more expensive.

I use a custom indicator package that I have developed over the years exclusively for spreads, and also a set of rules to confirm a trade entry and to manage risk. I would say that the indicator is 25% of the trade. There is also a great deal of joy to be found in terms of spread construction.

9. just21

just21

I think that the latest version 12 of esignal is as good as cqg. It is very smooth to operate. I will try esignal classic for $45 a month as I do not need real-time data yet and have it in IB tws mosaic.

10. bone

bone

I think that's a smart play in that your downside is limited. If you don't like it, you can cancel it.

#10     Aug 3, 2016