Indicator missing

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ttrader, Jul 16, 2002.

1. ttrader

ttrader

I calculated under the assumption he reinvests his money each month. Then I get 5.7% per month, 94.5% per year and close to 300000% per 12 years. Of course daytraders can't reinvest millions in daytrades, so I guess daytraders must become swingtraders and then long term traders as time goes by ...

#11     Jul 17, 2002
  2. Rigel

Rigel

$5000 at 5.7%/mo for 12 years componded is $14,647,657 or 292,953%.
    At the end you'd have to take 732,000 share positions in $20 stocks if you used all your capital for each trade though. Your size would probably screw up your system unless you split it up between many dozens of smaller positions in high volume stocks and that would be hard to manage. Pipe dream.

#12     Jul 17, 2002
  3. exactly, dats why size needs direction

#13     Jul 17, 2002
  4. Rigel

Rigel

An ego-ulator. :p

#14     Jul 17, 2002
  5. lojze

lojze

Actually, how to trade with a lot of money?

This is not my concern, but it is interesting.

Lojze

#15     Jul 17, 2002
  6. ttrader

ttrader

Anyway, turtletrader simply excludes the "feel", it does not translate it IMHO

But what I really want is to _translate_ the "feel" into a signal I can trade on.

#16     Jul 17, 2002
  7. The turtletrader system has nothing to do with feel at all, it's 100% mechanical. Richard Dennis is a legendary futures trader who turned a few hundred bucks into a few hundred million, then got sloppy and blew half of it (still filthy rich though). Twenty years ago or so he taught his system to a bunch of average joes just for kicks and called them 'turtles' as a half-joke after seeing a turtle farm in Singapore. The average joes went on to make hundreds of millions themselves, one of them who fell from grace coughed up the system and decided to market it, and turtletrader.com was born. The system itself really isn't that remarkable, in fact it's incredibly simple, the most important aspects of it are sitting still and money management.

Ed Seykota has endorsed the site but he isn't affiliated with them in any way, aside from giving them his stamp of approval as a big trend follower. My mention of his emotion programming was anecdotal, not a reference to anything that is for sale. I talked to him briefly once and have had conversations w/ some of his old partners and students on multiple occasions. Programming emotions into his system was just one of his many ideas and innovations, he is an old hand at computers and likes messing around with that stuff.

Programming emotions may be valuable for Seykota because he has a few decades of experience and thus has grounds for leaning on his intuition and sentiment; for you it might not help much, as your feelings have not proven their reliability as a guide in any real way (correct me if wrong here).

If you ever do find someone selling emotion software, it's not worth the money, I guarantee it, because everyone's emotional reactions are unique and only battle hardened traders have the grounds to trust their feelings. Newbies should not only be highly skeptical of their feelings, they should often fade them. The 'feel' you seek comes from experience and is the result of many subtle factors coming together at once; it is a higher level of conviction based on numerous small clicks. By definition you cannot have a 'feel' from one indicator because it is based on numerous sources of information all resonating with the same signal. This feel cannot be canned, bought or sold. The best you can hope for is to develop it yourself and learn to manage it/use it effectively AFTER it has been developed.

Hopefully I can save you some toil in your shortcut search by assuring you there ain't none.

#17     Jul 17, 2002

8. patiently and carefully

#18     Jul 17, 2002
  9. ttrader

ttrader

LOL

#19     Jul 17, 2002
  10. ttrader

ttrader

Actually I think I did not make myself clear enough. My idea is following:

Let us assume I can trade only led be my "feel" and get big bucks from the market as a reward. Let us assume I am doing this one year long and after one year e.g. on Christmas I look back at my trades and analyze them THEN with a bunch of indicators. Could I see some common denominator as regard of technical indicators ?

In the future then I would simply trade by this technical system and I could use the "feel" for other things.

My only problem is I do not trade by "feel" but by technical indicators and agonizing discipline so in the first place I even can not derive a "technical system w feel inside".

Did You ever look back at Your trades and figured out which trades made by "feel" were "technically correct" ?

#20     Jul 17, 2002