Indicator for spotting trends vs. ranges

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by svrart, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Let my name be your guide ... the information is useless until you figure out how to use it .... I will give you another piece of advice " Dont knock yourself out watching level 2.
    Oh and one more" piece .... " Someone tells you that you dont need volume to trade successfully, just ask them why they are handicapping themselves"

#31     Jun 8, 2006
  2. I understand what you mean.

However if I know what they mean to me in trading, what software or where supplies such kinds of infomration?

Thank you!

#32     Jun 8, 2006
  3. ==============
    Helpful points Dave , probably even more so since trends have a habit of doing better than average;
    however something similar [average time, average price %] can be useful for both real time trading & end of day trading.

And would agree with your implication the trend is a friend;
    more so than 25%

IF, to use stock indexes/ETF ,IF average uptrend is 25%;
    wouldn't want to trade as big or as wide stops if its up 33.3%.[Parabolic stop & reverse principal, not a mechanical use of it]

If to use another realtime example the average bull market uptrend is 3 years, your point is well proved late 1990's,1920's;
    but back to realtime /more examples ,mine is proved 1933-36 & today[ES,YM,DIA DOW,SPY] & proved most of JUNE, & realtime.

QQQQ has had 3 uptrend years; but realtime its down about $0.66, down last 6 months, down on 6-6-06.Good downtrend

Could be even more specific/real time but dont care to;
    note my comments are concerning indexes, or ETFs,
    NOT real estate, tulips , or other markets.

:cool:

#33     Jun 8, 2006
  4. Oscillators

#34     Jun 8, 2006
  5. I run my own programme so can´t really help. However a question to this effect on ET should net you you some prospects.
    Try to run some trials of each one to gauge the differences.

#35     Jun 8, 2006
  6. toc

toc

Sridhar,

For how long have you been trading?

#36     Jun 8, 2006
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

It's typically going to be a combo of RSI, MACD, Bollinger Bands AND Price. Best way to define trend is by using multiple time frames to find overall trend on thelarger frame and then use an oversold or overbought condition with fresh momentum on the shortest frame in the direction of the trend to enter. Never risk more than 2% of TLNW on any one trade/idea.

#37     Mar 25, 2016
  8. [Partial QUOTE="Buy1Sell2, post: 4264030, member: 45994"]It's typically going to be a combo of Bollinger Bands AND Price. Best way to define trend is by using multiple time frames to find overall trend on the larger frame and then ...... Never risk more than 2% of TLNW on any one trade/idea.[/QUOTE]
    %%
    Wise words- i use most of them myself[not RSI or Macd];
    Donchian channels can help.I call a range =a sideways slop chop trend

#38     Mar 28, 2016
  9. Adx doesnt work well in backtest at all especially trend change from up to down that kind of extreme case.

#39     Mar 27, 2020
  10. %%
    Study SPY for 10 years;
    with 200dma- that may help.Not a prediction- that is why they named it weather forecasting...……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

#40     Mar 30, 2020