Indiana's Evan Bayh to retire from Senate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Feb 15, 2010.

1. All of these guys bailing out this year makes me wonder what they know that we don't know. I'm not talking about some upset come November, something bigger, more ominous.:confused:

2. Bayh is a good man. He was my democratic pick for president in 2008.

He said the reason for retirement was the overly partisan climate in D.C.

I take him at his word...any reason not to?

You want to roll in the mud with scummy people for a living, with the type of rancor we have these days?

3. Arnie

Arnie

I agree. Obama ran on a promise to change the tone in Washington. I think that is one reason so many independents voted for him. People are sick and tired of the crap.

But then, he just hands everything over to Pelosi and Reed and lets them draft major legislation without any input from him.
    I'm not so sure people are upset with Obama's policies as mush as they are with his lack of any real effort to change the tone. If anything, he has poured gas on the fire.

4. In the mid 1980's (1985 / 1986 if memory serves) I worked on the Evan Bayh Campaign (when he ran for the Office of Indiana's Secretary of State). I also worked on his 1988 gubernatorial campaign. Anyone who met the man for the first time (back then) came away with the sense that he could one day be President of The United States. It was a character thing, and Evan Bayh had it in spades.

If Evan Bayh says he wants out due to the high levels of bullshit, then you can bank on that as accurate.

Unfortuantely, his departure from the Senate hurts all Americans. A level headed, middle of the road, non-extremist government oficial? We need more of those - not less.

- Spydertrader

5. I don't think the average person realizes that the representatives in D.C. either through their own personal agenda, or pure incompetence...create a very frustrating situation for decent men and women in public office. It is the dems fault completely to finally have full power in D.C. and not be able to get anything done.

It is their fault, 100%.

Obama simply has not been strong enough (like FDR was) to stand up to the opposition party and boldly say "we are in power, we are going to push through our legislation, and you are not going to stop us."

And even if Obama did that, I am sure the dems who are in the palm of the corporate masters (just like the repubs) would not follow Obama's lead.

I think Bayh is likely terribly disappointed in his fellow dems, with Obama's weakness, and of course with the repubs who are just staying the obstructionist course.

One thing is true, the repubs have acted as a pretty cohesive group in their voting, and the dems have not exercised the power the people gave them.

In any case, the climate in D.C. is the worst it has ever been from a legislative perspective, and the poll numbers reflect that.

Those who think new repubs are going to be the solution though...are out of their mind.

We need American senators and congressmen, not republican and democratic congressmen. We have such serious problems facing America going forward, and we have clowns in D.C. who are not representing the best for America.

It is documented that I opposed Obama in the 2008 primary, because of his lack of experience. He is a conciliator, and that doesn't work in D.C. Jimmy Carter proved that.

When I look on the horizon though, I don't see anyone who wants to be president, who is electable, who could actually implement the power that the people entrust in the presidency to get the job done, and if congress is turning over every 2 years from disgust of the voters, it is going to be even more difficult for the executive branch to get any meaningful legislation.

Pelosi is a joke, but so was Denny Hassert.

The speaker of the house has a lot of power, but look at this list and see if any really jump out at you as the type of leader we need?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Speakers_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

The house is filled with people unqualified to be a senator, lower level types who are hacks...

Sad.

6. cstfx

cstfx

His stepping down when he is ahead in the polls by double digits is HUGE.

I don't believe it is an acknowledgment of defeat but more a slap across the face of the Dems to get their act together and govern.

7. Arnie

Arnie

This was posted at Daily Kos

Bye Bayh - Now Get Yer A**es To Work
    by baldheadeddork
    Share this on Twitter - Bye Bayh - Now Get Yer A**es To Work Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 09:34:39 AM PST
    Short and sweet: With the retirement of Evan Bayh the Democratic caucus has lost one of its sleaziest obstructionists. If Lincoln and Reid continue to lose to any Republican with a pulse, we can remove all of the Conservadems on the ballot this November.

But it won't help the progressive movement unless we get better Dems elected. It's time to quit whining about the Dems stopping the change we want and elect Dems who will work for us.

baldheadeddork's diary :: :: You know what to do.

Richard Blumenthal: Website and Act Blue

Kendrick Meek: Website and Act Blue

Robin Carnahan: Website and Act Blue

Paul Hodes: Website and Act Blue

Jennifer Brunner: Website and Act Blue

Joe Sestak: Website and Act Blue

Plus perhaps Kentucky and North Carolina. I don't know enough about the Democratic candidates to know if any is worth our time and effort, but those are prime pickup opportunities if we can get a better Democrat nominated. Arizona and Utah can make the list, too, if the incumbent Republicans are thrown overboard by the teabaggers.

The only thing standing between us and a dominant progressive caucus is us.

Ready to kick their asses one more time?

8. Extremism is not isolated to one party.

9. And the American people.

10. cstfx

cstfx

I also wonder if he will now vote for reconciliation of the health bill now that he doesn't have to worry about voter backlash in a Red State Indiana.

#10     Feb 15, 2010