Indian banks paying relatively high interest rates

Discussion in 'Economics' started by BA_Trader, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hahaha, good luck with doing any of this with HSBC...

#21     Jun 6, 2011
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

Sucks to be a saver in the USA when the Fed is telling you everyday that your cash is worthless.

#22     Jun 6, 2011
  3. Don't believe it is too complicated provided your bank has offshore subsidiaries in India and Brazil. Maybe Citi. Shouldn't be too different that their existing eurodollar sweeps... RealDollar and RupeeDollar sweeps would be new versions of the same old game.

These sweeps are just legal transfers of funds to the bank's offshore entities, really just an accounting technique to allow the banks to have full lending of the funds without the reserve requirements normally required and without having to pay for FDIC insurance (as the sweep is uninsured).

The funds are just unsecured obligations of the bank, and therefore are typically paid the highest interest rate offered by the bank to overnight deposit borrowings.

#23     Jun 6, 2011
  4. My point is that HSBC are a VERY conservative bank, which served them in good stead in the crisis. They're not going to be offering anything of the sort to people.

#24     Jun 6, 2011
  5. zdreg

zdreg

you have a sense of sarcasm which is not mild.

#25     Jun 6, 2011
  6. Sweep Facilities are standard banking services.
    HSBC developed their own HSBC Corporate Money Funds to facilitate the sweeps. Currently their sweeps are in Dollars, Euros, Pounds and Canadian...
    Don't know what it would take for them to open up Yuan, Rupee, Real money funds. Probably competition and another bank doing it first... All banks have the me too mentality and jump aboard to keep their offering competitive.

http://hsbc.bm/1/2/business/payments-and-transfers/sweep-facility

#26     Jun 6, 2011
  7. TBH, this wasn't me being sarcastic, but rather asking a leading question...
    That's business banking, innit? All I'm saying is that I have a hard time imagining this service being offered to a regular account holder.

#27     Jun 6, 2011