Index futures or SPY options??

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by retire45, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I have traded stocks for a while and won't mind reducing the unpredictability that sometimes occurs with them.. Do futures lend themselves to swing trading over several days? Why not do options on SPY or QQQQ rather than index futures? I think I need a really good futures (minis) book..

2. Stosh

Stosh

In my opinion, the biggest risk with futures is the lack of appreciation of the dangers of the leverage available. It takes lots of willpower (born of pain) to withstand the temptations hidden in the mixture of greed, fear, and leverage. I think options are a better choice, unless you are already experienced with using high margin in very volatile markets. JMO, Stosh.
    P.S. Seems like practical, basic futures books are hard to find.

3. derek261

derek261

I traded options on the SPY for at least two years. I'm now very recently trading the e-mini ES. I have given up on SPY options simply because their values are so affected by the direction of the $VIX. There is also the greeks to analyze as well. So, not only do you have to watch the SPY chart, you have to watch the $VIX and the Greeks. This is too much for me to deal with. With the ES, all you have to do is watch the ES chart, place your stops, do the trade. IMO, so much easier than having to analyze many things at once.

glty,
    Derek

4. Thanks for the replies.. Any where I can look and multiple time frame es charts..?? Do they look exactly like index charts? Unfortunately I have to fund my TS account before I can access the platform. I mainly need to see the swing behavior..

5. Found some charts... thanks.