Independent Option trader

Discussion in 'Options' started by Mirah, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Mirah

Mirah

My ambition is to work independently as a trader.
    I have had a 9 to 5 job and I don't enjoy that and I always wanted to be my own boss.

Are there any Independent Option traders here? Please share your routine. Do you work from home or you have an office?

2. What ever you do don't quite your day job for years after your profitable

kcgoogler, Motobug, Ryan81 and 4 others like this.
  3. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If you are at the beginning of your journey, maybe you should consider options on futures. It will enable you to trade outside your working hours while you learn. Also, option on futures provide leverage at lower asset levels, as you need a portfolio margin account for that in equities. And, if you are in the US, futures are called 1256 contracts and are taxed 60/40, long term/short gain rates. You get the same status for cash settled index and VIX products in an equity/option account.

Just a thought. BTW, I was an Independent Option Market maker for 25 years.

cdcaveman and Telepuzik like this.
  4. Alexfx79

Alexfx79

Don't be in a hurry to quit your job, really. Especially if you are a newbie in trading (options/currencies/commodities etc). Try to work in the office and to learn in spare time.
    quickly conclusions don't lead to success, buddy...
    Learn, learn and learn.

Occam likes this.
  5. Telepuzik

Telepuzik

Becoming a profitable private trader has about the same odds as becoming a pro football player with a multimillion contract and as for options chances to become a new pop star are more or less the same - yes you have to be THAT good and LUCKY. It is indeed possible but odds are slim to none. Sorry.

Handle123 likes this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I 100% agree. The learning curve for options and finding your edge will take time. And, unless you are trading will a fair amount of capital, making a living from it will be harder than just making a return on capital.

Handle123 likes this.
  7. DON'T! You need to trade times where VIX is above 25 and see if you last. Trading options is not a joke matter. You will lose your shirt faster than you think

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I agree that an option trader needs to learn to adapt to volitle markets, but not everyone loses money in those markets. I had my best years with those conditions. I have seen just as many traders lose a lot of money from low volume sideways markets. You need to have a strategy or set of strategies that work in both.

cjbuckley4 and lindq like this.
  9. 2rosy

2rosy

You can do it in futures options (ags, eurodollars,treasuries) if you work with a couple other people who are still in the pits.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  10. Mirah

Mirah

Thanks for your advice. I will look into it.

#10     Oct 17, 2016