Increase speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DWV, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DWV

DWV

Anyone have suggestions as to how to increase my PC speed? Recently I have been slowed down (long time for apps/pages to load) considerably when running just a few open windows. When I reboot the problem goes away but eventually comes back.
    I have run Anti-Malware but no improvement.
    Thanks.

2. Crav

Crav

easy fixes. remove start up programs, remove antivirus, add memory,

3. And try using Mozilla Firefox instead of MS Internet Explorer!

4. eagle

eagle

As rule of thumb, never use anti-virus, anti-spyware provided by a non-well-known public company. The anti-virus and anti-spyware contain the virus and spyware in itself. You get what you pay for. A good well-known company that are using by many corporate are Symantec and McAfee. It's really worth to pay about $50 a year and have a free mind to focus on something else.

5. careful in memory (RAM)..."the "computer can only take so much RAM and the rest will be a wasted on money.

6. nkhoi

nkhoi

runn ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

select registry, scan for issues, fix selected issues, yes to backup a copy then delete them all.

select tools, start up, disable anything you don't use.

7. RL8093

RL8093

SYMC / MFE products are both bloatware. Switching to Avira, as recommended in earlier threads (started by Paulxx iirc), significantly lowered my memory usage.

If you switch, also perform the anti-nag hack as recommended in same threads.

R

8. eagle

eagle

You're right. Assuming your computer is less than 5 years old, where the date is counted at the time to market, not at the purchase date. Older computers will suffer a lot of speed slowed by that application. Beside it's large, you get the best protection if your computer is up to date.

9. I believe the best way to really speed up an old computer is to back up everything you deem important and blow it away by formatting/reinstallation of Windows.

Some people are strongly against this idea, but think of it like a colonic irrigation. :)

10. #10     Jan 7, 2009