Increase margin req's on OIL! -- now...

Discussion in 'Economics' started by limitdown, Mar 27, 2008.

1. You know:

Clinton 96
    Gore 2000
    Bush 2004
    Paul 2008

I had no illusion about Bush but I honestly believed Kerry / Edward would have been worse. I was wrong since Bush ended up being the biggest socialst for the Investment Banks and the harshest capitalist for the super poor.

Dr. Ron Paul is far from perfect, but he is exactly what this country needs. It's too late now, and we're all going to suffer now.. An Obama - Bloomberg ticket I would support, but not a Obama - Edwards, or Clinton, or anyone on the far left for that matter.

I dunno how a true Republican can vote for someone like McCain and the thought of President Hillary just makes me cringe! Obama is EASILY the lesser of the three evils, unless of course you watch Fox News which was also succesful in brainwashing a lot of people from voting for Dr. Paul.

#21     Mar 27, 2008
  2. I am not here to enlighten you, only to refute your flawed logic. I didn't start this thread, u did.

I don't have the time to given an in-depth explanation or synthesis of what has been explained here, on ET many times, or in print.

here is a good start: www.mises.org

#22     Mar 27, 2008

3. when I was a floor trader, one of the older guys told me a tru-ism that I have prospered by, he said something to the effect that as a trader, we (traders) do not expose to our fellow floor traders, who are competitors and friends at the same time, our political views, beliefs or supports for one over another, because the fellow floor trader will know how to out wit one's trades just about all the time. Something to the effect, if its the bottom of the half hour, he does a crazy Ivan to the right (quote from Red October - movie).

I have too much respect for all those on these threads to express a political viewpoint, and don't wish to venture into those waters as an exlcusive conversation or limited to political viewpoints, as these change often and are highly influenced by the tightly controlled images that are projected. So, I extend that to you too, however,

however, in the normal discussion of Economics, these policies or economic condition discussions often overlap politics and sound almost the same. The difference is what I stated above, and those are the boundaries that I respect.

thanks for sharing your insights,

it has been a worthy challenge,

good trading to you...

#23     Mar 27, 2008
  4. I respect your post and as I think about it, you're 100% right.

Thanks for the input. While we all may get passionate defending our views on an internet forum, in real life we'd might even just laugh and by each other a beer.

Cheers

-The Kin

#24     Mar 27, 2008
  5. this is why I take the time to participate on these threads,

these interchanges are worth the time,

I know I have benefited tremendously from those who share, participate and respect each other's well defended comments....

I also know that this smacks in the face of those who keep trounching www.elitetrader.com (ET) as a cess pool of diseffected mal-contents and losers,,,

far from it,

its populated with some pretty educated, overly compensated, dignified traders of all types (floor traders, upstairs desk traders, hedge traders, etc., oh, let me not forget the futures traders too)...

cheers

#25     Mar 27, 2008
  6. Guys:

Look at refinery utilization.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/hist/wpuleus3w.htm

82.2% this last EIA report.

Look at that entire report long and hard.. A brief skim reveals we had similar numbers in the early 90s.

Comanche explained this to me: ethanol production accounts for now 10% of gasoline feedstock. Refineries turned down the production because they need less gasoline now. Interestingly enough, not enough diesel is being produced (since distillates are 1/3rd of the product of refinement) even though refiners are matching auto gasoline demand.

So even with this reduction of a million barrels of day of input, crude supplies are flat (if refiners were the buyers, you'd see crude inventories going up), and gasoline numbers are down to rising (basically flat) amidst lower demand.

That tells me demand is coming down and the refiners (the only major players who actually *use* and need to buy crude oil) are not doing the buying.

Just do the numbers in your head... With refinery utilization down 10%, refiners are buying a crapload less oil. Its ALL speculation here.

Its all funds, funds, funds... treating it like the new 30 year bond. Except that crude is not a thirty year bond. It doesn't pay interest and eventually you need to sell that crude. You can only store so much.

#26     Mar 27, 2008
  7. It (Oil at $100+, gold 1k an ounce, etc.) all has to do with the excess supply of fiat currencies.

----------------------------------------------

Wouldn't increasing margin have the same/some effect?

#27     Mar 27, 2008
  8. I agree too much currency is chasing the asset class.

But the better question is this: How much $$$ left bond and stock markets?

I bet the amounts that are now in commodities isn't much different than the answer to the last question.

#28     Mar 27, 2008
  9. Interesting question. There might just be a base line in a dollar amount churning equities.

#29     Mar 27, 2008
  10. nlimit1

nlimit1

margins going up on every contract... currencies went up twice in the last three months

#30     Mar 27, 2008