Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lornz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. #11     Mar 15, 2012
  2. Eight

Eight

Honestly, that obviates the need for trading. Dumb people actually contribute to smart people instead of smart people going through life making a lot of dumb people look good...

#12     Mar 15, 2012
  3. I'm sorry all I see here is more expert (academic) worship by you guessed it another academic psychologist who somehow thinks you have to be an expert to pass any judgement on any issue.

My question is this , when did mr dunning graduate climatology school?

#13     Mar 15, 2012
  4. Why Conservative White Males Are More Likely to Be Climate Skeptics

Sociologists attempt to pin down what causes some to question the science behind global warming

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-white-maes-are-more-likely-climate-skeptics

"Conservative think tanks, conservative media, corporations, and industry associations (especially for the fossil fuels industry) -- domains dominated by conservative white males -- have spearheaded the attacks on climate science and policy from the late 1980s to the present," McCright and Dunlap concluded in their study. "The results presented here show that conservative white males in the general public have become a very receptive audience for these efforts."

and this...

"The result was stunning and alarming. The standard view that knowing more science, or being better at mathematical reasoning, ought to make you more accepting of mainstream climate science simply crashed and burned.

Instead, here was the result. If you were already part of a cultural group predisposed to distrust climate science—e.g., a political conservative or “hierarchical-individualist”—then more science knowledge and more skill in mathematical reasoning tended to make you even more dismissive. Precisely the opposite happened with the other group—“egalitarian-communitarians” or liberals—who tended to worry more as they knew more science and math. The result was that, overall, more scientific literacy and mathematical ability led to greater political polarization over climate change—which, of course, is precisely what we see in the polls.

So much for education serving as an antidote to politically biased reasoning.

What accounts for the “smart idiot” effect?

For one thing, well-informed or well-educated conservatives probably consume more conservative news and opinion, such as by watching Fox News. Thus, they are more likely to know what they’re supposed to think about the issues—what people like them think—and to be familiar with the arguments or reasons for holding these views. If challenged, they can then recall and reiterate these arguments. They’ve made them a part of their identities, a part of their brains, and in doing so, they’ve drawn a strong emotional connection between certain “facts” or claims, and their deeply held political values. And they’re ready to argue."

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/17/secret_papers_turn_up_heat_on_global_warming_deniers/

The last sentences hits the nail on the head. Couple that with the known closed-minded nature of conservatives and we have a good explanation why, no matter how much proof is presented, they will never change their minds. I remember arguing with one guy and he actually said he would NEVER believe in AGW.

con·serv·a·tive/kənˈsərvətiv/
    Adjective:
    Holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in politics or religion.
    Noun:
    A person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in politics.

#14     Mar 16, 2012
  5. Or maybe conservatives are better at detecting BS.

Seriously, you have one group, liberals and environmentalists, who have been arguing for decades that the government should limit energy use. Not surprisingly, liberals love the idea of saving the planet and also giving the government vast new powers to decide whogets to use energy and at what price and who doesn't.

Conservatives hear this and see old wine in a shiny new bottle, this time labelled "climate change", a new crisis which has the unique advantage of not being susceptible to scientific proof. It requires instead blind faith in unproven hypotheses that are contradicted by the entire human existence. Being naturally skeptical of the university/government complex, they pose alternate theories, eg sun activity, and are ridiculed for "denying" the "consensus." They recognize that consensu is a political not scientific term, and their skepticism grows when emails are released showing devious scheming by global warming activists posing as objective scientists.

#15     Mar 16, 2012
  6. Brass

Brass

Did someone mention Trader666, jem et al?

#16     Mar 16, 2012
  7. When I was in HS the experts were besides themselves warning us of the new ice age that was imminently upon us.

global warming or cooling may in fact be happening but the left's solution of effectively forcing us to impoverishment or living in caves
    is just plain silly.

#17     Mar 16, 2012
  8. Read the above posts carefully Brass. In them you find the classic anti-intellectualism endemic to the GOP.

It does not find with the view that their parents or some other authority figure gave, so it is wrong. It does not matter if it is you or I, or the commonly recognized smartest physicist on the planet. I have seen folks argue against people like Hawking who could not even read his scientific work due to lack of foundation.

Others on this site criticize Obama, who managed to become President. Some of these folks were never President of the Pep Club at their high school.

Then you have some ET folks who are top dawg economists, but, have never had a single employee or so much as managed a Taco Bell.

You can see the DK effect all day long here. So much so that I began to read the actual academic papers. It is truly an amazing thing to see.

#18     Mar 16, 2012
  9. If that is true then I ask you, now, since no one else can step up. Why do liberals run everything?

Especially since you guys claim to have a majority? So far, every time I have asked this question it has been side-stepped.

#19     Mar 16, 2012
  10. It's not that LIEbrals run everything they just RUIN everything big difference.

#20     Mar 16, 2012