Income Before: $18,000. After: $85,000.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Mar 15, 2019.

1. As a software engineer in my 20's back in the 80's, I had my own office and we used to fly first-class everywhere. Today, you'll most likely be stuck in an open office plan with a bunch of smelly Indians who steal your code.

Regards,

PTR

#21     Mar 16, 2019
  2. LOL. I have to admit the H1B types are often useless and the equivalent of plumbers who use duct tape to connect joints.

#22     Mar 16, 2019
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Fortunately I don't need a day job. I learn programming to see if I can forecast stock price movement, to augment chart reading. :D

#23     Mar 16, 2019
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Be nice. Don't forget Google, Microsoft and a few other big techs are run by immigrants from India. There are lots of smart cookies coming out of there.:finger:

#24     Mar 16, 2019
  5. Yes you're right, thanks for calling me out.

#25     Mar 16, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  6. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are right about one thing: Today's programmers/coders are probably the 21st century's equivalent of blue collar workers for the 20th century. You really don't need a college degree to learn it and the jobs pay a lot better than flipping hamburgers.

By the way I am enjoying my VBA class.

#26     Mar 17, 2019
  7. tsznecki

tsznecki

I don't know. I used to think that way until I realized time IS the most valuable asset. Why slave away in the cubicle farm just so you can retire with your best years behind you?

Sure, money pays for stuff. I get it. Anyways, not here to start a 50 pager thread.

#27     Mar 17, 2019
    qlai likes this.
  8. I don't think it's either/or. Youth is wasted on the young, and in my case, I just kept seeing bigger and bigger. Big tech/finance was not enough. But really, the friends I still have at these places live very nice, balanced lives. They get to do what they enjoy, make good money and still have time to hike/bike/travel with their family.

50 pagers are the best.

#28     Mar 17, 2019
  9. qlai

qlai

Yes, kind of. There were two major reasons for it:
    1) Globalization and acceptance of remote work leveled the playing field. There's lots of talented people overseas willing and able to work for a lot less.
    2) Commoditization of programming via libraries, API, AWS, open source, etc. 90% of coding work can now indeed be done with minimal skill and it will be "good enough"

There's still good opportunities for talented programmers, but it's becoming harder to differentiate yourself, especially when you deal with non-technical client/management.

#29     Mar 17, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  10. :thumbsup:

#30     Mar 17, 2019