In Search of God!

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by dealmaker, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dealmaker

dealmaker

"My crown is called content, a crown that seldom kings enjoy."
    - William Shakespeare

#751     Oct 24, 2017
    speedo likes this.
  2. speedo

speedo

"Each man should frame life so that at some future hour fact and his dreaming meet."
    - Victor Hugo

#752     Oct 24, 2017
  3. speedo

speedo

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."
    - Bruce Lee

#753     Oct 24, 2017
    dealmaker likes this.
  4. speedo

speedo

"People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing."
    - Will Rogers

#754     Oct 24, 2017
    dealmaker likes this.
  5. dealmaker

dealmaker

"Fortune favors the brave"
    - Virgil ( Roman poet, Aeneid 70-19 B.C. )

#755     Oct 24, 2017
    speedo likes this.
  6. dealmaker

dealmaker

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't live long enough to make them all yourself"
    - Eleanor Roosevelt ( First Lady 1884 - 1962 )

#756     Oct 24, 2017
    speedo likes this.
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

"Life is an illusion. You are what you think you are."
    - Yale Hirsch ( Creator of Stock Trader Almanac b 1923 )

#757     Oct 24, 2017
  8. speedo

speedo

:D

#758     Oct 24, 2017
  9. Overnight

Overnight

"The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier, but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centers of the brain which has supplied them.

The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that something so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God."

The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith, I am nothing.'

'But, says Man, the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and vanishes in a puff of logic.

'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next pedestrian crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the theme of his best-selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up For God. "

- Douglas Adams (Author, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, 1979).

#759     Oct 24, 2017
  10. speedo

speedo

:D

#760     Oct 24, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.